Which Changeup for 6U DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Okay, so she brings the hands together at belt high, brings them both up, then seperates the hands as she brings them back behind, then forward through the windmill circle. This one is simple. One way to define a 'Change up' in FP softball, is any pitch that takes hitters timing away. Most only associate that with motions that say 'Fastball' but delivery speed that is slower than what the batter expects to see from the pitchers motions.

Here is what I suggest she practice.. Bring the hands together in front, touch the ball to the inside of the glove. Then e xplode into the forward windmill WITHOUT the up in front and back behind. It will happen much faster than her regular pre-motions and wind up and disrupts the hitters timing.

Once she is using that in the game, have her practice the softball submarine wind up. And take their timing away even more. That is an even faster delivery. It is also a part of the windmill circle.

Hurry em up or make em wait but NEVER let em know whats coming next.

I much prefer what Hillhouse teaches which is you want every pre-pitch motion, delivery, and release to look like every other pitch. The only difference is the grip and very slight changes to the arm whip for the different pitches. No need for "sneaky softball tactics". For some reason MLB and NPF elite pitchers don't do what Hal is suggesting and are pretty successful. How is that?

rocketech, you make a good point on the location portion. Im not totally discounting or against the flip change and still may teach her it if the others dont work out.. Just would rather have her try a pitch/motion/release that looks as close to a fb as possible. Thank you.

My Dd throws the flip change and it is a very devastating pitch at 16U and is arguably the best changeup at the college level and is hard to pickup out of the hand because the arm is going the same speed as the fastball or faster our PC tells her to have the arm as fast as you can get it. Only drawback is it is probably the toughest pitch to learn and it will only be thrown for a strike around 70% of the time. When we practice with our PC (once a week) we usually practice changeup for 30 min. and another pitch (usually her worst pitch) the other 30 min. Change-up is thrown every practice twice as long as any other pitch (with either me or PC) because it takes twice as long to learn the flip change.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I work with an 8U pitcher who has a very nice flip change. I wish some of the older girls I work with could master it. I have never heard that it isn't thrown in college. I think if you start them early, it is easy to pick up and develop. JMHO

Dec 26, 2008
WOW...No disrespect to all the posters but the player in question in is SIX!!!

Let her pitch for a few years by throwing....Then at 8 lets start introducing new pitches as her hands/fingers get bigger and she can proccess what is being taught...

At 6 any coach that has any experiance will not work on areas outside of grip and foot work...Flip changes and spin pitches at this age could cause injury and may hamper the development of the player...

Choose to sit back and enjoy your DD playing..push too much and she may choose for you...

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"Hurry em up or make em wait but NEVER let em know whats coming next.
I much prefer what Hillhouse teaches which is you want every pre-pitch motion, delivery, and release to look like every other pitch. The only difference is the grip and very slight changes to the arm whip for the different pitches. No need for "sneaky softball tactics". For some reason MLB and NPF elite pitchers don't do what Hal is suggesting and are pretty successful. How is that? "

Most tactis I teach can be done so subtly even 'I' have trouble spotting them. Granted, the use of more than one pre-motion or more than one wind up you dont see in college much. But then again, that is exactly what Joan Joyce did, two different wind ups. But you apperently think she was not 'Elite or successful' as a pitcher.

Look to the ISC male pitchers and you can find one. Oh wait, thats right, you dont know wat to look for. Sad. That being the case, you have no clue what college pitchers might be using them either.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Oh wait, thats right, you dont know wat to look for. Sad.

Maybe I don't have the expert eyes that you have Hal because you did say you once saw a pitched ball, "completely stop in mid-air for a couple of seconds and then change directions" and that is also something I have never seen but than again I haven't read the book and trained my eyes...:confused:

Aug 3, 2013
WOW...No disrespect to all the posters but the player in question in is SIX!!!

Let her pitch for a few years by throwing....Then at 8 lets start introducing new pitches as her hands/fingers get bigger and she can proccess what is being taught...

At 6 any coach that has any experiance will not work on areas outside of grip...Flip changes and spin pitches at this age could cause injury and may hamper the development of the player...

I respectfully and whole heartedly disagree...as i've said before this is not a should i thread. its a which type of thread. ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan