Which Changeup for 6U DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
rockettech and hal. please stop and stop now or you'll go to your rooms without dinner....seriously.....this isnt about either of you....no disrespect, just sick of reading it....

Jul 17, 2012
Flip change is easily seen at release. The ball is hidden by the back of the hand. I dont want that...period.. Regardless if some pitchers use it in college or not...regardless if she can be successful with it right now. If i can teach my older dd to pick it up when hitting (seeing back of hand at release) then Im sure its easily picked up at even higher levels...especially college. More so then say the palm, circle, or horsehoe style....in my opinion.
Sounds like you have your mind made up...why bother asking? LoL

I agree with Humpty.... Skip the change and go right to the Rise.......

Jul 17, 2012
rockettech and hal. please stop and stop now or you'll go to your rooms without dinner....seriously.....this isnt about either of you....no disrespect, just sick of reading it....

Gotta admit...pretty sick of your arrogant attitude...PERIOD!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
ok. should/does it come off like a knuckle ball with little to no rotation? I like the sound of this as I can see it not altering her mechanics/motion at least so its not noticeable to the batter.

Is this style c/u used successfully at higher levels?
Don't worry about whether the change up you work on now will work later. I have found that most pitchers will change how they throw the CU several times in their career. What works now with her hands and the ball she uses now will probably be replaced with something else when she is 11 and at 13 and at 15... Just find something she can have success with now, and the success will be encouraging.

Dec 26, 2008
I respectfully and whole heartedly disagree...as i've said before this is not a should i thread. its a which type of thread. ....

Sad....But if you are looking for guidance on your DDs development you have to accept the opinions of others especially; at such a young age.
Let me ask... Can she hit all areas or quadroons of the zone on command? A ton of ladies can throw to the middle of the plate but at her age she needs to learn how to nip the corners of the zone. (This will take some time). When she has mastered hitting all four areas at 8 I would suggest a grip change... Holding the ball deeper in her hand or a circle change to change speed. Easier to learn and will be very effective at this age without possible injury to the player..

Know where you want to go. Do not dream about it plan for it. Set goals and Make It Happen!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Still like my answer.... when you are working on a CU... only throw it every other pitch... never back to back... you have to sell it. Thats the beauty of the flat finger knuckle ball... Its the same pitch as your best, just a different grip... throw it 2 seam & 4 seam for even more changes...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
I respectfully and whole heartedly disagree...as i've said before this is not a should i thread. its a which type of thread. ....

Sad....But if you are looking for guidance on your DDs development you have to accept the opinions of others especially; at such a young age.
Let me ask... Can she hit all areas or quadroons of the zone on command? A ton of ladies can throw to the middle of the plate but at her age she needs to learn how to nip the corners of the zone. (This will take some time). When she has mastered hitting all four areas at 8 I would suggest a grip change... Holding the ball deeper in her hand or a circle change to change speed. Easier to learn and will be very effective at this age without possible injury to the player..

Know where you want to go. Do not dream about it plan for it. Set goals and Make It Happen!

thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
Still like my answer.... when you are working on a CU... only throw it every other pitch... never back to back... you have to sell it. Thats the beauty of the flat finger knuckle ball... Its the same pitch as your best, just a different grip... throw it 2 seam & 4 seam for even more changes...

got it thanks for your help!

Aug 3, 2013
ok. should/does it come off like a knuckle ball with little to no rotation? I like the sound of this as I can see it not altering her mechanics/motion at least so its not noticeable to the batter.

Is this style c/u used successfully at higher levels?
Don't worry about whether the change up you work on now will work later. I have found that most pitchers will change how they throw the CU several times in their career. What works now with her hands and the ball she uses now will probably be replaced with something else when she is 11 and at 13 and at 15... Just find something she can have success with now, and the success will be encouraging.

good point. thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild