Which Changeup for 6U DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Sting,

unless things have changed in my area in the last 7 years, the handful of 6 year olds I worked with were playing 8 under. Most of the time it was a kid pitch / coach pitch scenario. If the kid threw 4 balls to a batter, then the coach pitched. If the kid threw 3 strikes before that happened, batter was out, or something similar.

However, some of the tougher leagues in the SF bay area were kid pitch only in 8unders. Limit of 3 inning per pitcher per game.

The advice I gave you was what I taught them. They were all dominant. I would add in the down and in at some point. Thas more than enough for an 8 or 6 year old.

Aug 3, 2013
Sting,

unless things have changed in my area in the last 7 years, the handful of 6 year olds I worked with were playing 8 under. Most of the time it was a kid pitch / coach pitch scenario. If the kid threw 4 balls to a batter, then the coach pitched. If the kid threw 3 strikes before that happened, batter was out, or something similar.

However, some of the tougher leagues in the SF bay area were kid pitch only in 8unders. Limit of 3 inning per pitcher per game.

The advice I gave you was what I taught them. They were all dominant. I would add in the down and in at some point. Thas more than enough for an 8 or 6 year old.

8u is all kid pitch in our league. 6u is kid, coach, or tee if the batter cant hit the first 6 pitches.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
I don't think you want to know, they are being dismissive. Sort of the same reason I wouldn't post about my 6YO other than to send a private video to a well know poster here for feedback. It seems to me if a DD isn't at least 8 they won't be taken seriously by half the people here.

Aug 3, 2013
I don't think you want to know, they are being dismissive. Sort of the same reason I wouldn't post about my 6YO other than to send a private video to a well know poster here for feedback. It seems to me if a DD isn't at least 8 they won't be taken seriously by half the people here.

I've gotten quite a few good replies and just try to filter out the rest. but its the internet....and everyone has there own opinion....and we all know what opinions are like...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...and sometimes people only want a confirmation that they are doing things right, and get their panties all bunched up when someone tells then that they are not.

I'm not saying that this is or isn't the case here, but it happens. A lot.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
The answer to the original question is "none." If you want a career from 6-12 go for it. If you want a career and a relationship with your child to last a lifetime, than don't. This thread is a joke, correct....let her play around and have fun and if she comes up with her own change up or curveball or whatever, as they are want to do, let her go with it. Just catch the ball. There's plenty of time for drills and drill seargants.

So teaching my daughter a changeup at age 6 will cause her to not pitch past age 12 and will also cost her and I our relationship? Did I read that correctly? Or did you mis-type that?

Either way, thanks for your opinion and guidance on how to raise MY own kids. I really do appreciate your help!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole