Which Changeup for 6U DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Stingray,

does she use the double pump wind up? Drops the hand down and to the rear before going forward with the arm circle?

May 10, 2010
I would stay away from thinking the way she is taught at 6 will be the way the throws when 16. My dd used to throw a turnover drop and now she throws a peel for example. And yes the flip change is thrown at the college level. Infact at several camps my dd attended that was the prefered way. For my dd the change was her most difficult pitch to master and after going through several styles of change up, the flip change was the best for my dd. As long as mechanics are sound and there is a change of speed does it really matter if its a flip or circle change?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
May I ask one question without offending? Is there really a need for a change up at 6U? You might be in a very advanced league, I just am struggling to see the need for a change up even at 10U--mind you this is Rec. ball that we are in. I could see it for 10U travel, but the 10U travel kids around us hit the ground anytime they are trying to throw a change up.

As the parent of a pitcher, I can see the allure for being able to say that my DD knows more than 1 pitch(she started taking lessons over the summer), but the 2 travel league pitchers in our area were so bad at them, I ain't pushing for it.

Is there an age or a certain skill level to which a kid should reach before even considering adding a new pitch??

Respectfully,
GG

From what I've seen with my DD in 8U and 10U rec ball, the CU is a very effective pitch when thrown near the strike zone. Very few hitters are able to make the timing adjustment. It looses its effectiveness when thrown over the catcher's head or bowled, however.

The #1 pitcher on my DD's 10U Fall Ball team throws 40+mph fastballs, and can hit spots pretty consistently. When she's throwing her CU well, it's devastating to most hitters. She's currently working on a curve. She's 8.

Aug 3, 2013
I would stay away from thinking the way she is taught at 6 will be the way the throws when 16. My dd used to throw a turnover drop and now she throws a peel for example. And yes the flip change is thrown at the college level. Infact at several camps my dd attended that was the prefered way. For my dd the change was her most difficult pitch to master and after going through several styles of change up, the flip change was the best for my dd. As long as mechanics are sound and there is a change of speed does it really matter if its a flip or circle change?

Flip change is easily seen at release. The ball is hidden by the back of the hand. I dont want that...period.. Regardless if some pitchers use it in college or not...regardless if she can be successful with it right now. If i can teach my older dd to pick it up when hitting (seeing back of hand at release) then Im sure its easily picked up at even higher levels...especially college. More so then say the palm, circle, or horsehoe style....in my opinion.

Feb 7, 2013
Flip change is easily seen at release. The ball is hidden by the back of the hand. I dont want that...period.. Regardless if some pitchers use it in college or not...regardless if she can be successful with it right now. If i can teach my older dd to pick it up when hitting (seeing back of hand at release) then Im sure its easily picked up at even higher levels...especially college. More so then say the palm, circle, or horsehoe style....in my opinion.

What I like about the flip change is you can throw it hard and because the technique kills the arm whip, its about 25% slower than the fastball. If you make sure to finish your hand/arm in the same position as your fastball or other pitches, its a pretty deceiving pitch. The other aspect of the flip is that it tends to move down and away from right handed batters so even you happen to pick up the grip at release, its still a hard pitch to get solid contact on. DD's teammates who have other change-ups tend to throw them too fast and with little movement. I wouldn't give up on the flip change just yet.

On a separate note, don't try to teach her too many pitches, too quickly (i.e. at 10YO she has 6 pitches). To me it's quality of pitches over quantity.

Aug 3, 2013
rocketech, you make a good point on the location portion. Im not totally discounting or against the flip change and still may teach her it if the others dont work out.. Just would rather have her try a pitch/motion/release that looks as close to a fb as possible. Thank you.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Okay, so she brings the hands together at belt high, brings them both up, then seperates the hands as she brings them back behind, then forward through the windmill circle. This one is simple. One way to define a 'Change up' in FP softball, is any pitch that takes hitters timing away. Most only associate that with motions that say 'Fastball' but delivery speed that is slower than what the batter expects to see from the pitchers motions.

Here is what I suggest she practice.. Bring the hands together in front, touch the ball to the inside of the glove. Then e xplode into the forward windmill WITHOUT the up in front and back behind. It will happen much faster than her regular pre-motions and wind up and disrupts the hitters timing.

Once she is using that in the game, have her practice the softball submarine wind up. And take their timing away even more. That is an even faster delivery. It is also a part of the windmill circle.

Hurry em up or make em wait but NEVER let em know whats coming next.

May 31, 2012

So why teach the lil one a fb. She prolly won't throw a fb in college or the Npf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd