Video & Brief Review of the New Pop Toss Tee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
How about put the ball on a tee middle middle somewhere behind the front foot and let's see a swing on that.

Jan 13, 2009
Might I suggest that the drill not be done with hitting the ball at the peak (velocity=0), but while the ball is still rising to the peak or dropping after the peak.

This would help alleviate swinging at a ball that is not in the strike zone. We do self toss drills with tennis balls to accomplish the same goals that this machine seems to want to accomplish. Let the tennis ball drop, bounce on the ground and then hit while it is still rising or falling.

May 12, 2008
Amy,

When I say middle middle, I'm saying middle of the strike zone side to side and top to bottom. When I say behind the front foot I'm addressing depth/how deep you let the ball travel before contact. I'd like to see what this hitter looks like on a tee swing at a middle middle pitch location. That would tell us something about how much of these swings can be blamed on location and the gadget vs how much of these swings are just her normal swing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, sorry. I didn't notice that you would think I was commenting about your post.
I was commenting about the 1st video.

I think we need a post on proper use of the tee, because I bet 50% of the teams that I see are using it wrong.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Amy, the only reason I positioned the tee on home plate is because it's a flat surface. It will stay put (like in the second video) on a flat sand surface though. Like a regular tee I instructed my daughter to make sure her front foot is even with it on contact. I've been using it placed in a bucket surrounded by balls so it's sturdier and protected. This way I can hit from a grass surface as well. There's a video of me using it this way on Youtube.

CoachC: I agree working on hitting as the ball is rising would be ideal (or waiting as it drops to say thigh level). This is something we'll be working on but keep in mind the posted videos are of the initial attempts at using the product. Over time we'll work on using like a regular tee: inside corner hitting in front vs. outside corner & hitting deeper as well.

May 20, 2008
I dont like this there is no key to start your load. When you do regular soft toss you can load when the tosser starts the toss by moveing the toss hand back. Also when we do soft toss we have our hitters look through the net at a object and then move the head to track the ball when the toss hand moves back. In my opinion i would not use this becase of the reasons i stated

May 12, 2008
I dont like this there is no key to start your load. When you do regular soft toss you can load when the tosser starts the toss by moveing the toss hand back. Also when we do soft toss we have our hitters look through the net at a object and then move the head to track the ball when the toss hand moves back. In my opinion i would not use this becase of the reasons i stated

Outstanding post!

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Actually there is a trigger that isn't noticable in the videos. Just prior to popping up the ball there is a a click as the spring prepares to disengage. You could also stay neutral until the ball pops up then quickly load and hit as the ball falls back down. I do think a nice improvement, other than a knob that clicks and is more precise, would be some sort of visual indication that the ball was about to pop up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877