13 YO DD hitting video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2008
A couple of years ago I started this thread looking for some advice for helping my daughter's swing. We worked on it for several weeks, with some improvement. But, we haven't worked on it very much at all since then, she missed over a year due to an shoulder injury that ended up needing surgery.

She is playing again and doing pretty well. She is very confident at the plate and batted clean up most of the time on JV. However, she and I both feel that she has more potential. I have several videos. Most of the game videos are from behind her. I can make more if I need to. When I watch them and slow them down I still see basically the same thing as before. A gated swing. We've discussed it and I think we both understand what it needs to look like, I just don't know how to get her there. How do I get her to achieve that seperation of the hips going first and the hands staying back? I could really use a specific drill for us to start with that might click with her.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt299/alabama_lowlife/games_zps062949a9.mp4
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt299/alabama_lowlife/kinston_zps23c9cada.mp4
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt299/alabama_lowlife/tee_zps0d03d668.mp4

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
She looks like she is getting the job done. That being said, it looks like she is getting it done by a lot of upper body and arm strength.

DD and I went to a D1 game this afternoon with the plan of picking apart batters....the highlight of my day was when a skinny girl was on deck. I said "look at the girl on deck...look at the tight coil she is getting in her rear hip every pitch (she was timing the pitches)" not knowing her and commenting on how few girls had any load, let alone a rear hip socket coil I said "I bet 10 bucks she has some power"....first pitch ball...second pitch she sent about 50 feet past the center field fence.

Get that stretch...coil...lower half running start...rear hip socket battle...ANYTHING.
IMO after today, you could be an NCAA star with that focus. So many girls are muscling the ball.

We taped Mizzou vs South Carolina on espn u last weekend. If you have that, watch the grand slam the mizzou girl hit...look at her stretch she gets...look at her right rear pocket coming toward the pitcher...

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
What redhot said. Upper body arm swing.

She has an Circular hand path, flat bat.
Work on some drills to get the hips to lead the upper body
Front and back, one arm drills hitting the ball straight up the middle with the tee alittle bit low so the release has to be underneath
Whip hit

That is some to start

SL

Nov 1, 2008
What redhot said. Upper body arm swing.

She has an Circular hand path, flat bat.
Work on some drills to get the hips to lead the upper body
Front and back, one arm drills hitting the ball straight up the middle with the tee alittle bit low so the release has to be underneath
Whip hit

That is some to start

SL
Can you point me to a couple specific drills?

Jul 14, 2010
Walk up drill should help to get the lower half involved and also work on the "sequence". Using a tee have DD start in batting stance a step or so behind the tee (you can experiment with distance - will vary depending on length of stride, etc.). First move is rear foot crosses over (can go in front of or behind front foot/leg - we prefer behind as it helps to keep front side from opening up too soon) - then step/stride with front foot and hit.

Face the Fire drill would be similar and would also help. You start this one from behind the tee at 90 degrees to where you would start with the walk up.

rdbass, straightleg and some of the others will have video and/or GIFs of these that they could show or point you to.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
RDbass is the gif master....Maybe he can post some hip leading drills..If not I will later tonight. Lesson in 10 min.

SL

Nov 1, 2008
Ok, I dug up his gif for the walk up drill. I also found a video of the face the fire drill. We'll work on these 2. I'll make a video so we can verify we're doing it right. Thanks!
mcx0t2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00