Check Abby's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
DD's usually does well hitting the ball, but I believe there will always be room for improvement. First two vids she was 2010 spring 10u, third vid she was 2010 fall 12u ( 99 ). What can we do to improve the swing? I might add that she was swinging her bat very well during the spring, but not so well during the fall. She also started going to a batting coach sometimes during the fall.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ChzBuVpcBbI?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ChzBuVpcBbI?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VDGoXJMhrw4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VDGoXJMhrw4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VDUYuPMRJYU?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VDUYuPMRJYU?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thank you.

May 13, 2008
I like the lower body a lot. There are some things I'd fine tune with the lower body, but over all very nice. She really uses the legs and core well. Good intent to hit.

We've got a problem with the arms and hand path, IMO. This is some classic bat drag, which at the 10U and 12U levels can be successful, but as she move up this swing will not scale and she'll have a more difficult time.

I'd review some of the throwing/hitting discussions and the recent posts in this thread: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/5027-megan-1-tee-6.html

The reverse top hand swing, IMO, helps with bat draggers as it is impossible to drag the bat with the top hand reversed.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Overall a nice swing, definitely improvements from earlier in the year. A couple of things from the bottom video:

Grip - Double check her grip, from the video it looks like the knocking knuckles are not lined up or slightly offset but deeper in her palm? hard to tell.

Reverse V - one thing you notice with the elite hitters is their "reverse V" (the upside V created by their forearms at set-up) is that the open part of the V is pointed directly down or even pointed behind them. Your DD has her "V" partially open to the pitcher and her hands never go back.

Load - I don't see any real load/coil, she takes a stride but there seems to be no load at all. I like the swing thought that she should be dancing (loading) with the pitcher at wind-up.

Bat drag - Once she loads correctly, she should attack the ball, "hands straight to the inside the ball", with left elbow pointed towards the pitcher as long as possible. Notice how she tends to pull her left elbow out quickly to the left side. She can do one arm drills with a smaller bat off of the tee, practicing keeping the hands inside the ball and maintaining the bat angle before point of contact.

Does her back foot always come off of the ground or was it the high pitch that caused her to lift up on it?

She is a lot more aggressive now and follows through compared to the earlier video.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to view the videos and comment. No, she didn't have a load in those videos, but I don't recall anyone explaining to her what a load was--I'm just beginning to learn swing mechanics. They'd just tell her to load up. Now since she has been seeing a coach, she does load but I'm not sure if the bat lag is cured. I'll video tape here tonight in a cage and see if anything is different. What got me to think about sharing these videos and asking for comments was the "elbow leading the hands" thread. Does it look like her elbow is leading the hands in the third video? Anyway, back foot usually doesn't come up--I've never seen it do that. I did read the Megan 1-tee--great kid btw--and will use what I can. We did start the front one hand swing lately. We'll try the reverse back hand and see what happens.

Tonight we have access to a gym with three t stations, and a cage with a machine. This will be a good time for her to start working on changing a few things.

Thank you again.

Jan 25, 2011
If you look at alot of real good hitters the back foot does come off the ground at contact leaves no wasted energy in the ground.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
If you look at alot of real good hitters the back foot does come off the ground at contact leaves no wasted energy in the ground.

It is pretty clear to me that the reason she pulls the back foot up, off the ground had more to do with being off balance than trying to use every ounce of energy into the swing. Especially with this relatively new hitter, I would NOT encourage her to pick up the back foot but instead, push off the big toe on the inside of the foot and pivot onto the ball of her foot naturally for good balance and a strong finish.

Jan 25, 2011
It is pretty clear to me that the reason she pulls the back foot up, off the ground had more to do with being off balance than trying to use every ounce of energy into the swing. Especially with this relatively new hitter, I would NOT encourage her to pick up the back foot but instead, push off the big toe on the inside of the foot and pivot onto the ball of her foot naturally for good balance and a strong finish.

I guess it is in how you are trained. My dd has just turned 12 and she lifts her back foot at the moment of contact , and she has very good balance and finishes real strong.

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
Thank you for taking the time to view the videos and comment. No, she didn't have a load in those videos, but I don't recall anyone explaining to her what a load was--I'm just beginning to learn swing mechanics. They'd just tell her to load up. Now since she has been seeing a coach, she does load but I'm not sure if the bat lag is cured. I'll video tape here tonight in a cage and see if anything is different. What got me to think about sharing these videos and asking for comments was the "elbow leading the hands" thread. Does it look like her elbow is leading the hands in the third video? Anyway, back foot usually doesn't come up--I've never seen it do that. I did read the Megan 1-tee--great kid btw--and will use what I can. We did start the front one hand swing lately. We'll try the reverse back hand and see what happens.

Tonight we have access to a gym with three t stations, and a cage with a machine. This will be a good time for her to start working on changing a few things.

Thank you again.

Thanks for the kind words. Have to admit, there really is a lot of great people on this site with tons on knowledge on all aspects of the game. Your in good hands. As for your daughters swing I was pretty impressed with the 3rd one!

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
She is obviously a good player just by observing her confidence, posture and intent to hit. if I were coaching her I would definately have much more of a stretch when she strides meaning the hands would go further back and the front shoulder would turn slightly in and down as she strides to toe touch. I believe you would get a much more powerful swing and the bat would have a greater distance to get on plane.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
For Abby

Look at just the arms at set up. See how the lead arm is kinda down and relaxed.

I back arm is up. It does not have to be level up, but up close to this position.

Just arm setup will help her swing. Her back arm is low, so it slots very fast and promotes the bat drag you see.

If her arm is more up / other things will happen first.

Straightleg

Pullingtheknob.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad