13 YO DD hitting video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2008
Sorry for the poor quality, I can try to make a better video later. I just shot this one to look at and start learning more about hitting. My son was holding the camera so it's rather shaky and he cuts off her feet some. I've read quite a bit on here and watched the Mike Epstein video posted in another thread. I didn't understand very much of anything until i watched his video. I always wondered what disconnect meant haha.

She pitches so we take her to a pitching coach but have never taken her to a hitting coach. She had 7 hits in 23 AB in 11 games on JV this year with 6k and 3bb. She wants to improve on that so she can work her way into the varsity lineup, but i'm not sure where to start. Please let me know where you think we should start.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/87s3kspmCBw?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/87s3kspmCBw?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nov 1, 2008
Would it help if I made a better video? I'd like to know what those of you with a trained eye can see that I don't, thanks

Oct 25, 2009
A better video would definitely help. Mount the camera. Show multiple swings.

What I notice at first glance is the lack of a load and the hands dropping somewhat. Start by coiling the hips (show the pitcher your hip pocket). Hold that coil to toe touch (stride). Her rear foot didn't look too bad (she didn't let it spin in other words). Then lead the swing with the hips from the ground up. Make sure her rear elbow does not get ahead of her rear hand.

Try some of that and post a better video. There is some really good help on here. FiveFrameSwing and Wellphyt, among others, are really very knowledgeable and explain it so it's really easy to grasp. Also look at the various video and info that's with them. There is a lot of information already posted—take time to read it. It really is worth the time!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO, this isn't so much a 'swing' as it is a 'push'.

9krpe9.gif

I posted the following elsewhere and am pasting it below in multiple segments ... because this message board only permits 4 videos/post. Basically we want the twisting of the core to be pulling/grabbing the rear shoulder and initiating the lowering of the rear upper arm & elbow ... and it is at this point that the hands can be thought to 'fire'. See if this makes sense ... it should lead to a more powerful sequence.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In terms of the sync between the 'rear upper arm' and 'hips' ... it can be thought of as "twisting the gut out of the way" to pull down the rear upper arm. Basically the wringing of the rag.

You spoke earlier of Coil-Stretch-Hips. Instead think in terms of .... Coil-Stretch-TwistTheGutOutOfTheWay_ToInitiateLoweringTheRearElbow .... or simply Coil-Stretch-WringTheRag.

Here is the concept described from a golfing perspective ...

Play the above video again ... it contains an important message. It is that twisting of the core that "initiates" lowering the rear elbow.

Here's a drill demonstrated from a golfing perspective that can be readily translated to the baseball/softball swing.

The baseball/softball swing is the same idea. We arrive at "launch", and from that position, with our rear arm just reaching a maximum raised position, we "twist our gut out of the way" to initiate pulling/lowering the rear arm & elbow.

This drill promotes lowering the rear elbow with a "twisting of the core" ... or "wringing of the rag".

Perform this drill frequently ... heck ... I know people that perform this drill in the batter's box in between swings ... I do a similar type drill in the batter's box in which I lead back with my rear elbow, without a bat, and twist my gut out of the way to initiate the lowering of my rear elbow. Leads me to having a nice tight HPP.

Here's a bit more on the concept of "twisting the gut out of the way" from a golfing perspective.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Basically it is like SB stated ... Coil-Stretch-Separate ... or Coil-Stretch-TwistTheGutOutOfTheWay ... or Coil-Stretch-WringTheRag.

2i6oykm.gif

33k7h9w.gif

The rear upper arm and elbow comes down when you uncoil .....

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
3 sources to increase bat speed and power: grip, "hands", and hips

Hips: hardest IMO to improve. She does turn her hips and follow through. She gets no "coil" and follows through low. OK, that said, this is the hardest and I personally would not start here at all. The good news is she can get big gains by grabbing at some lower hanging fruit....

Grip: 3 things appear to me, one there is a small gap between her hands. Two, she appears to have slightly beyond box grip. This is very common in push swings like your DD. I actually like box grip but recommend she use knocking knuckles until these problems are solved. See this article to understand what I mean. Thirdly it appears from the forearm muscles that she is too tense but she would have to confirm that

"Hands": This is the biggie and I think FFS was going the same direction but a second way to put it might help you and be easier to understand than the golf clips. She starts with the bat way too high and her elbows are way too far from her body. She brings them down but the back elbow is I think this vid will make this very clear. Pay close attention to how his back elbow is behind his body and your DDs is way out over the plate.

She pushes the bat through:

hitter.jpg

From 2:24 of the Justin Stone vid, when he is demonstrating this problem:

pushing.jpg

Coaches can become fixated on hip coil but I have found that kids can experience a thrill in 1 to 3 sessions by learning how their hands and arms work, and achieving bat whip instead of casting or pushing. Get the grip right and get the bat whip going and she will be launching some balls way way farther than before without even addressing the hip coil and follow through issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00