Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Honestly, it was the only portion of the E-book that I found useful.

That drill definitely has the highest impact in terms of waking up the brain, but not what I was looking for in this case. I am trying to make practical adjustments to the routine throwing progression during the time the team is together. Also take things out that might be harmful. I don't automatically buy into every hot concept discussed on DFP, but know that throwing mechanics are one of the main problems that higher level programs (in my area) identify when they see kids coming up from more recreational type leagues/teams. Since I fall into the latter category, I make an effort to stay ahead of the curve and produce a better athlete who might enjoy the game for a few years longer than she might have otherwise. This includes my own kids too, of course. For instance, the arm behind drill starting from the correct position, simulates the water drill beginning at the water-up position, using a ball instead. Thank you for your opinion on that drill (it's definitely useful information); I look forward to more help in rounding out this part of my program.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
2v81fnk.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That drill definitely has the highest impact in terms of waking up the brain, but not what I was looking for in this case. I am trying to make practical adjustments to the routine throwing progression during the time the team is together. Also take things out that might be harmful. I don't automatically buy into every hot concept discussed on DFP, but know that throwing mechanics are one of the main problems that higher level programs (in my area) identify when they see kids coming up from more recreational type leagues/teams. Since I fall into the latter category, I make an effort to stay ahead of the curve and produce a better athlete who might enjoy the game for a few years longer than she might have otherwise. This includes my own kids too, of course. For instance, the arm behind drill starting from the correct position, simulates the water drill beginning at the water-up position, using a ball instead. Thank you for your opinion on that drill (it's definitely useful information); I look forward to more help in rounding out this part of my program.

Once a girl learns this here .....

200d4bt.jpg

..... the brain will need some serious waking up.

Oct 10, 2011
Honestly, it was the only portion of the E-book that I found useful.

I actually liked all the video for reference. I know it's easy to go search for it, but I like having it in a nice package:) The progression of drills made a HUGE impact for DD. The behind the head drill made a big difference within 2 weeks.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I actually liked all the video for reference. I know it's easy to go search for it, but I like having it in a nice package:) The progression of drills made a HUGE impact for DD. The behind the head drill made a big difference within 2 weeks.

I hear you. It wasn't new to me, so I didn't find it overly useful. On page-1 of this thread Wellphyt made reference to the "L" position .... and from there I tried to suggest that folks "lose the L" .... and gave examples of the hand getting behind the head of the thrower.

I personally didn't like how the content of the E-book was put together. Almost flip-flopping from treating the reader as a baby, being highly repetitive, and going pages and pages without new useful content ... to getting into technical terms that were not well explained in terms of an involvement in the throw. Just an opinion mind you. I did find the water bottle drill quite useful. And yes, I can appreciate that the progression drills are helpful.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I personally didn't like how the content of the E-book was put together. Almost flip-flopping from treating the reader as a baby, being highly repetitive, and going pages and pages without new useful content ... to getting into technical terms that were not well explained in terms of an involvement in the throw. Just an opinion mind you. I did find the water bottle drill quite useful. And yes, I can appreciate that the progression drills are helpful.

Yeah, I wasn't wild about the structure of the content either. Took longer than necessary for me to absorb, but not everybody is a writer. the content itself has value.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I hear you. It wasn't new to me, so I didn't find it overly useful. On page-1 of this thread Wellphyt made reference to the "L" position .... and from there I tried to suggest that folks "lose the L" .... and gave examples of the hand getting behind the head of the thrower.

It's funny that I got the same feeling while I was listening to the audio version. I think though for the majority of people however, it is a very good book. I had no knowledge of how to teach throwing properly so I needed to hear it. I'm not an expert:)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that most writers are really needing to dumb down their info, anymore. Not because they can't explain it better, but I am running into some really stupid people, that lack comprehension skills. If you are writing for the general public, you need to realize that a lot of people lack reading skills. I see it on the Internet, especially. The headline can say "the suspect died" and people will say "hang him." ?? I learned a lot from the e-book and I have picked it apart, frequently. I want to throw OH, correctly and I believe that it is harder for females.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

What I found in Wasserman's e-book, I had already learned a lot about from this...Softball Throwing Mechanics: Why Your Softball Players Have Elbow Pain…Wrist Flick Edition

The e-book gets more in-depth, and I agree that the package could be polished better. That said, Wasserman's information is the best out there...for now.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think the Wasserman drills and progression are great. I didn't need all the detail on anatomy and it's a bit pricey but I agree with Eric that it's by far the best I've found on teaching proper throwing mechanics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish