Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I think that most writers are really needing to dumb down their info, anymore. Not because they can't explain it better, but I am running into some really stupid people, that lack comprehension skills. If you are writing for the general public, you need to realize that a lot of people lack reading skills. I see it on the Internet, especially. The headline can say "the suspect died" and people will say "hang him." ?? I learned a lot from the e-book and I have picked it apart, frequently. I want to throw OH, correctly and I believe that it is harder for females.
I don't understand your point:confused:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I think the Wasserman drills and progression are great. I didn't need all the detail on anatomy and it's a bit pricey but I agree with Eric that it's by far the best I've found on teaching proper throwing mechanics.

I want to know where you can learn to throw PROPERLY for less than $50!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Point taken.

I guess I just a little miffed that he had the book on sale for $30, 2 weeks after I bought it for $50. grrrr

What is the relative expense of receiving bad information, spending countless hours ingraining it, and never reaching your potential because of a misdirected effort?

I saw two kids throwing quite well a few days ago. Sadly, the coaching these kids will receive on their softball team will insert an "L" and remove what they currently do correctly.

Personally I think folks should be more miffed about the general state of decent information on the topic.

When people review throwing information from sources such as Mike Candrea (just one example out of many) they expect good information ..... yet an application of the Hanson Principle (modified for 'throwing') shows that what is being advocated doesn't match up with how the best athletes throw. What you have is a boat load of bad information being passed along without appropriate filters being applied.

People should apply the Hanson Principle to information they receive .... regardless of the source.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
WOW!!
I just spent the last 2 hrs reading this thread from front to back. What an incredible amount of information on high level throwing mechanics. I've just discovered that I didn't know as much as I thought I did...
Thank you to those who have contributed to this thread and to my continued learning as a coach.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I changed my warm up throws from just regular throws to toes pointed forward, ball behind the head, ball coming over the top of the head to release. Then I progress to a step throw, ball over the top of the head then on to just a regular throw, hopefully using the above mechanics. I start at about 35-40 feet and finish at 60. I feel like it has really helped my girls make better controlled throws. (I do let them do reg warm up throws as they arrive then we do some light stretching and running warm ups before we do the above drill)

I have also used the water bottles w tennis balls taped to them. I do this with my weaker, less experienced players, 11-12's.
image.jpg

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I changed my warm up throws from just regular throws to toes pointed forward, ball behind the head, ball coming over the top of the head to release. Then I progress to a step throw, ball over the top of the head then on to just a regular throw, hopefully using the above mechanics. I start at about 35-40 feet and finish at 60. I feel like it has really helped my girls make better controlled throws. (I do let them do reg warm up throws as they arrive then we do some light stretching and running warm ups before we do the above drill)

I have also used the water bottles w tennis balls taped to them. I do this with my weaker, less experienced players, 11-12's.

I like the ball on the bottle you made. I also use an arm behind like this for warmups. Is that what you are talking about?

[video=youtube_share;W_kUZUESa50]http://youtu.be/W_kUZUESa50[/video]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish