The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2010
Watching the recent Barnhill clip, I don't see the replant giving her any additional push to the mound. Its just one clip but I barely see a replant. It looks like it but there's not much there.

Scroll down at this link and you'll see an Albert Pujols swing. Albert Pujols HItting Mechanics | Mokena Blaze
Note how Albert powers the rotation of his hips by triggering the muscles that would externally rotate his back foot if it weren't planted. Eventually, his forward-rotating hips lift his back heel.

Now, go back and you can see Barnhill doing pretty much the same move (with her back leg) after she leaps ~3 feet. A legal pitcher cannot generate the same hip acceleration because her back foot doesn't re-anchor.

I suspect that this extra oomph from the hips accounts for Barnhill's legal-vs-illegal speed gap noted by Riseball in a different thread.

Disclaimer: I'm a novice bucket dad shooting from the hip and if I'm wrong I'd appreciate it if someone smart corrects me and explains why.

NOTE: On my computer, the link generates a security warning when you click it from this site. You have to do two more clicks to get to the Albert gif. This doesn't happen when I access it from Google.

Feb 17, 2014
Im sorry to sound rude but how can you not see it? She pushes off the rubber then when her pivot hits the ground, she pushes again then her drive foot hits and she releases. Its, right foot, left foot, release. BLATENT IMO.

The fact that you see a replant at all makes it an IP.

What I meant to say is that the replant doesn't get her closer to the plate. That's all I meant to say. He front foot is almost on the ground when she pushes off the second time. After watching it again, I see what pumpkinbear is saying. The push off does help her get more power behind her hips.

I know DD is in the right place with her PC. There was a 10u pitcher at lessons tonight who he spent the entire lesson working with her to remove a replant.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Surely there is a system that umps are measured by as the season goes on. Seems to me that it would make sense to review games periodically for illegal pitching and strike zone among other things by a NCAA regulation committee or the head of NCAA umpiring or whatever/whoever it is. Point being, I am of the belief that if a strike is a strike then you call it. It a pitcher is illegal then you call it. While I don't necessarily agree with more layers of "government" it appears to me that there are very few layers if any during the season.

No need to change any rules IMO, just enforce the ones we have and all will be good! And if umpires can't or won't enforce them, it is time to get new umpires! Pretty sure if I don't get up and do my job everyday as I am asked to do it then they will find somebody that will.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What I meant to say is that the replant doesn't get her closer to the plate....

No, it is the leap combined with the replant. Bottom line is that she is 5'-8" with relatively short legs. She gets out as far as Monica Abbott who is 6'-3" with very long legs. With her weight forward posture she releases the ball from about 35 feet.

barnhill_vs_georgia_rise_zpsiik3x2yl.gif

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
I watched the fla games this weekend. Barnhill praise aplenty from announcers. Her stats are unreal. Would they be as good if pitched legal like Gurley, doubt it but who knows. I do know that with the praise she is receiving from the media, awards and honors that will come from softball there are going to be a bunch of young ladies mimicking her in the back yard wanting to achieve and duplicate her success with parents encouraging them. The media attention bother me the most as it will generate more audience, which promotes softball more, which puts more pressure to not call it for the negative light it would cast on that high profile team and the sport. Would this thread be this long if she was pitching out of Bismark ND for a juco team even tho she would break every juco record the media and money dictates what is called or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC