Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2019
Back to the basics, outside of leaping or what I would consider Jordy's drag foot momentarily losing contact with the ground, what do you see that sets her mechanics apart from other NCAA pitchers?
My DD and I sat back and made an effort to break down JB's mechanics.
For one, she's leaving the drag foot behind at release. Meaning Jordy appears to land with her plant foot well ahead of the pitch release point on every pitch. The drag foot stays a full step back from the plant foot and as she finds a neutral position, her weight goes to her drag foot.
JB also has tremendous acceleration in her pitching arm motion. We considered she's driving so far forward the arm motion needs to lag slightly through the top of the motion or else she'd have to release before sticking the plant foot.
Just something I thought I'd post because this leaping debate has run it's course imho.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Hmmm, When I look at the above video it does not look like she is getting much push out of her back leg. It looks like she is just picking up the back foot and not driving off of it. She looks so powerful and fast I am sure I am just looking at this wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019
Hmmm, When I look at the above video it does not look like she is getting much push out of her back leg. It looks like she is just picking up the back foot and not driving off of it. She looks so powerful and fast I am sure I am just looking this wrong.

It doesn't look like she's putting crazy effort into the push, but the drive foot ends up 6' from where it started so it may be an illusion.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
or
At foot plant most pitchers have the ball at 10-11 o'clock. One thing video can't show is natural athletic ability.
or, at least they work towards that, along with having it firmed up so that energy isn't lost on a weak front side.

Jul 19, 2021
Hmmm, When I look at the above video it does not look like she is getting much push out of her back leg. It looks like she is just picking up the back foot and not driving off of it. She looks so powerful and fast I am sure I am just looking at this wrong.
No you're not looking at it wrong. The fact is, most pitchers don't use their back foot to assist their drive. I believe it has minimal effect on the overall drive efficiency. Minimal.

Jul 19, 2021
It doesn't look like she's putting crazy effort into the push, but the drive foot ends up 6' from where it started so it may be an illusion.
Great athletes always look like they are not putting much effort into things. They are smoooooooooth as silk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13