Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Great athletes always look like they are not putting much effort into things. They are smoooooooooth as silk.
Agreed, if it looks like your are having to work hard there's some inefficiencies there.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
No you're not looking at it wrong. The fact is, most pitchers don't use their back foot to assist their drive. I believe it has minimal effect on the overall drive efficiency. Minimal.
Interesting. Why do you think this? And you say it has minimal effect, is that because of the way they're using it? Do you believe it would be better if they used the back foot better? I found this an interesting post, I'm curious to hear more.

Jul 19, 2021
Interesting. Why do you think this? And you say it has minimal effect, is that because of the way they're using it? Do you believe it would be better if they used the back foot better? I found this an interesting post, I'm curious to hear more.
Let me break it down in a very non-biomechanical/physics way........................................... which is the only way I know how! lol....

It's been stated and pretty much proven that the drive only accounts for 10% of a girl's velo so I use that as my basis for my belief. Because of angles/leverage, etc....I believe the left leg, at most, could contribute 10% more energy to a girl's drive. You just can't generate much force with that leg being so far away from the point of emphasis (or Fulcrum point) of the drive, which is the right foot/leg. So that would mean at most only a 1% improvement in velo. For someone throwing 60mph, that's .6 mph. That is minimal to me.

Feb 15, 2017
Let me break it down in a very non-biomechanical/physics way........................................... which is the only way I know how! lol....

It's been stated and pretty much proven that the drive only accounts for 10% of a girl's velo so I use that as my basis for my belief. Because of angles/leverage, etc....I believe the left leg, at most, could contribute 10% more energy to a girl's drive. You just can't generate much force with that leg being so far away from the point of emphasis (or Fulcrum point) of the drive, which is the right foot/leg. So that would mean at most only a 1% improvement in velo. For someone throwing 60mph, that's .6 mph. That is minimal to me.
But what if that drive gets you closer to the plate at release and shortens reaction time? What if you cut down reaction time by half a second?

Jul 19, 2021
But what if that drive gets you closer to the plate at release and shortens reaction time? What if you cut down reaction time by half a second?

Is that what you meant to type? A hitter's reaction time is already under a half second for the entire pitch.

Feb 15, 2017
What if the reaction time decrease is greater than the speed increase?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I believe the stride side does more work than the drive side. It initiates the drive/moves all the weight first and if it is not doing the work, then it will get left behind. Then the uglies happen. Buckling at plant, twisting. I think the stride side is viewed as the red headed stepchild by many who don't actually get out and pitch.

Aug 21, 2008

Interesting. Much of what you said went right over my head but, I appreciate the reply. I'm not sure what to make of this. I do agree that that back foot doesn't make someone throwing 50 automatically go to 60 but, it's interesting that that study put a % to it. I'd be curious who they used for this study and how it was done.

I'm often skeptical of studies about pitching because I usually think the example being used is a poor one. Example, every debate about whether the riseball goes up or not is usually done by someone throwing a pitch with bullet spin. That alone ruins the integrity of the experiment. (NO PEOPLE, I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A RISEBALL DEBATE!!!). lol. I also remember seeing something by Rick Pauly where he said he believes 90% (or something like that) of power comes from the 12:00 position. Maybe I have that wrong but, I thought I read that somewhere. If it wasn't 90% it was a very high number either way. I certainly don't want to misquote Rick but, I'm pretty sure that's what he said. Anyway my point is, whenever I see "studies" that include % of things, I'm usually not in agreement with the % number attached.

Anyway thanks for replying. I'll try to look more of this up later.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478