Player responsibility on grounder to 2nd w/ runner on 2nd - High School

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 6, 2012
Hi folks, our coach is NOT a softball coach. Many of our parents are not fundamentally educated. They don't notice subtleties on plays like this.
Posting a YouTube video for you to check out. Simple grounder to 2nd base that's gone wrong.
1st inning - 1 out
redacted
My eyes see 3rd, left, short, center & right all establishing the proper movement & 1st not ready to field a throw w/ glove down (no target)
What I "think" should happen is pitcher should drop to home, catcher should sprint down 1st base.
Next I see is 1st base not gunning behind the runner rounding 3rd to push them to commit.
Instead we've got a potentially EASY run scored by next batter (only 1 out) on a glove error & runner on 2nd who should still be stuck at 1st behind a clean retrieval by a catcher backing it up down the line.
Runners on 1st & 3rd. A possible force preserved.
Instead, no force, 1 out.
Please don't repost to the video. I will pull it down after I get some feedback. Not here to roast the girls. Looking for confirmation or correction of fundamentals (which coach did not provide prior to or after)

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
A badly executed play at First, but garbage? I think that's overstating things a bit.

I can't tell if that's a bad throw or simply a miss by 1B.

After the miss, that's a long throw (~100 ft) from the coach's box to 3B for no good reason. As soon as 1B tries to throw to 3rd in that situation, I'm sending that speedy looking runner Home. In fact, seeing the pitcher with her back turned after receiving the throw from 1B, I may still send that runner Home.

It's debatable, but I'm not a big fan of running the catcher around, especially with runners on. It not only wears them out faster, but putting your pitcher in a position to make a tag at Home doesn't yield many outs even in D1 softball. I want the one at Home to have the protective gear and be used to making that sort of play.

1st and 3rd is tough to defend at all levels against any sort of speed. It takes some excellent infield ball handling, which this video suggests doesn't yet exist. I like the fact that the outfielders came in to help.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
Agree I would never have my pitcher or anyone other than the catcher covering home with runners on base. This is unfortunate. If it’s anyone’s back up it’s right field who should already be charging in backing up the play on the grounder but i honestly don’t think they get there any faster than the first baseman. Just a botched play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish