Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2015
I also remember seeing something by Rick Pauly where he said he believes 90% (or something like that) of power comes from the 12:00 position.

When I see this 10% concept referenced on this site, that’s also what I think of. I’ll see if I can find the links to the old threads, but my recollection is that Rick observed (I don’t know if he would call it a “study”) that his efficient pitchers could achieve 90% of their peak velocity from a K position. That’s somewhat (maybe a lot) different from saying the lower half only contributes 10%; there is a lot of lower half and core involvement in just throwing from the K position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
When I see this 10% concept referenced on this site, that’s also what I think of. I’ll see if I can find the links to the old threads, but my recollection is that Rick observed (I don’t know if he would call it a “study”) that his efficient pitchers could achieve 90% of their peak velocity from a K position. That’s somewhat (maybe a lot) different from saying the lower half only contributes 10%; there is a lot of lower half and core involvement in just throwing from the K position.

Yes, it was something about 90% from the K position. It's something I could never understand how that's possible. And if that's the case, why aren't pitchers throwing slingshot these days? Anyway, I never understood that and I never understood how he came to that conclusion.

Oct 14, 2019
Yes, it was something about 90% from the K position. It's something I could never understand how that's possible. And if that's the case, why aren't pitchers throwing slingshot these days? Anyway, I never understood that and I never understood how he came to that conclusion.
Joan Joyce allegedly threw in the 70’s from the slingshot position and said she preferred throwing the rise from slingshot rather than windmill.

Jul 19, 2021

Bingo. That's what I was referring to.

Did I say the lower half only contributes 10%? Who said that?

Jun 8, 2016
If a pitcher threw from the K position on a train moving 10 mph she would gain 10 MPH on her fastball relative to if she threw from the K position from the circle. A pitcher's body is probably not moving more than 6 or 7 mph when they release the ball hence the 90% number (granted the muscles don't work as efficiently from a static position so it is not exactly an apples to apples comparison..but close enough).

I already talked about this maybe 3 times in this thread but half the people in this thread probably have me on ignore so it seems as if I am pissing into the wind...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If a pitcher threw from the K position on a train moving 10 mph she would gain 10 MPH on her fastball relative to if she threw from the K position from the circle. A pitcher's body is probably not moving more than 6 or 7 mph when they release the ball hence the 90% number (granted the muscles don't work as efficiently from a static position so it is not exactly an apples to apples comparison..but close enough).

I already talked about this maybe 3 times in this thread but half the people in this thread probably have me on ignore so it seems as if I am pissing into the wind...
You don't tug on Superman's cape or pull the mask off the ole Lone Ranger.

Jul 5, 2016

Which is why pitchers are not allowed to pitch from moving trains.

Aug 21, 2008
Joan Joyce allegedly threw in the 70’s from the slingshot position and said she preferred throwing the rise from slingshot rather than windmill.

Joan was a special lady and great pitcher. Yes, I know people say she threw in the 70's. Those same people also say Eddie Feigner threw 104 mph. Nobody has ever been close to throwing 100, especially not under the rules he pitched with. So, I'd take Joan Joyce's velocity with a grain of salt.

There's no question she was a head of her time in many ways, just so much better than anyone else. It's clear she worked VERY hard. But, that was also a time that softball wasn't like it is today. Kids not only start earlier these days but the training resources available today are amazing. It's impossible to compare generations like in any sport (would Ali in prime have beat Tyson in his prime?). Nobody will win that argument. You can't win it, Of course it was Tyson. But, anyway, she was ahead of her time but her opposition wasn't anywhere near what it would be today. Scholarships weren't a big thing yet when Joyce played so the game was just different.

Either way, if I still think if slingshot was so great, it'd be used today. It's not. I just find it hard to believe 90% of my power is from the K. That seems like a very large number.

Jun 20, 2016
Joan was a special lady and great pitcher. Yes, I know people say she threw in the 70's. Those same people also say Eddie Feigner threw 104 mph. Nobody has ever been close to throwing 100, especially not under the rules he pitched with. So, I'd take Joan Joyce's velocity with a grain of salt.

There's no question she was a head of her time in many ways, just so much better than anyone else. It's clear she worked VERY hard. But, that was also a time that softball wasn't like it is today. Kids not only start earlier these days but the training resources available today are amazing. It's impossible to compare generations like in any sport (would Ali in prime have beat Tyson in his prime?). Nobody will win that argument. You can't win it, Of course it was Tyson. But, anyway, she was ahead of her time but her opposition wasn't anywhere near what it would be today. Scholarships weren't a big thing yet when Joyce played so the game was just different.

Either way, if I still think if slingshot was so great, it'd be used today. It's not. I just find it hard to believe 90% of my power is from the K. That seems like a very large number.
I can shed some light on this one I think, I played in the Cecilio Smalling memorial tourney(SCIFL) this past weekend. My teammate was a pitcher named Rob Scwayer look him up he throws very firm. The kids I play with, and I call them kids because they are all under 25, radar'd him in the high 70's hitting 81 on occasion. They radar'd me as well, sadly my hardest pitch barely registered 71 (for the record I'm crafty with lots of spin). However, I played some modified pitch and I throw a lot from the K position, BP and what not. I can throw between 55-58mph from the K position with a step so if my firmest throw is 71ish then 80-84% would be between 55-58mph. Ive asked Rob and he figured about 65 with a step, 60 without so he is about 80% from the K....

As for Jordan Bahl she pitches a lot like the guys I play with curious as to who taught her!! She's legit!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom