The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
That is the result of helicopter parents raising entitled little brats. I fear it will probably get worse before it gets better. These parents will come up with endless rationalizations from she isn't legal, to it is never called, to it is a bad rule in order to shield their kids from possible failure. These are the same kids that are dumbfounded when they graduate and cannot get a job.

We had a girl leave our team in the fall because her dad wouldn't let the coaches coach. He got very angry when DH got onto her for walking out onto the field. They also quit their metro team (middle school feeder team) because they were too mean to her. lol They made them run! How dare they. Seriously, people. Do you want them to live with you til they're 40? Who knows, maybe they do want that.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
We had a girl leave our team in the fall because her dad wouldn't let the coaches coach. He got very angry when DH got onto her for walking out onto the field. They also quit their metro team (middle school feeder team) because they were too mean to her. lol They made them run! How dare they. Seriously, people. Do you want them to live with you til they're 40? Who knows, maybe they do want that.

Aahhh...parents are just the BEST. Gotta watch the movie All-Stars, a mockumentary about a girls 10U(?) rec softball team. I think it's still on Netflix. Best line that most coaches can relate to: "I wish I coached a team of girls who's parents were all dead."

Jun 12, 2015
Aahhh...parents are just the BEST. Gotta watch the movie All-Stars, a mockumentary about a girls 10U(?) rec softball team. I think it's still on Netflix. Best line that most coaches can relate to: "I wish I coached a team of girls who's parents were all dead."

I own that movie. Love it!!!!!

Feb 17, 2014
Watching the recent Barnhill clip, I don't see the replant giving her any additional push to the mound. Its just one clip but I barely see a replant. It looks like it but there's not much there.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Watching the recent Barnhill clip, I don't see the replant giving her any additional push to the mound. Its just one clip but I barely see a replant. It looks like it but there's not much there.

Its really going to be a tough thing to call in real-time in a game, if she maintains contact with the ground with her push foot.

The crow-hop rule is just not going to get called - unless it is blatantly obvious.
So, what's left is to call a "leap", which Barnhill's motion essentially is.
I don't think there is much of a second push in her motion. It's more that her "drag foot" acts as a stabilizer to keep her stride foot airborne for a *really long* time.
This is how she gets to the front of the circle.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Its really going to be a tough thing to call in real-time in a game, if she maintains contact with the ground with her push foot.

The crow-hop rule is just not going to get called - unless it is blatantly obvious.
So, what's left is to call a "leap", which Barnhill's motion essentially is.
I don't think there is much of a second push in her motion. It's more that her "drag foot" acts as a stabilizer to keep her stride foot airborne for a *really long* time.
This is how she gets to the front of the circle.

It is not that it is hard to call, the evidence is clear that the decision has been made to not enforce the rule. Consider this - Of all the innings pitched by SEC pitchers, so far this season only 10 IP's have been called. Barnhill alone is good for several dozen a game yet nothing. Between the strike zone, the illegal pitching, and the home team umpiring the game has become a joke. The only concern for the NCAA and SEC are the TV ratings, same as any other theatrical event or reality TV show.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2015
She's pushing a second time. My 11 yr old DD has had 2 pitching coaches in the last 18 months. Only changed because 1 decided to get married and move away and her replacement as pitching coach a a local college took up as our PC. Both are very strict on being legal. My daughter saw one pitch last night and said the following, "she throws HARD, but it's not legal". She didn't call it a replant, just said she was hopping before she threw the ball.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

Im sorry to sound rude but how can you not see it? She pushes off the rubber then when her pivot hits the ground, she pushes again then her drive foot hits and she releases. Its, right foot, left foot, release. BLATENT IMO.

The fact that you see a replant at all makes it an IP.

Jun 18, 2010
USSSA:
CROW HOP. A crow hop is the act in which the pitcher’s pivot foot leaves the pitcher’s plate and replants prior to delivery of the pitch.

ASA:
CROW HOP: (Fast Pitch) The act of a pitcher who steps, hops or drags off the front of the pitcher's plate, replants the pivot foot, thereby establishing a second impetus, or starting point, pushes off from the newly established starting point and completes the delivery.

NCAA:
Crow hopping is not allowed. The pitcher may not replant, gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1