The best not knowing what they do (did)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
I see coaches telling infielders to get “down and ready” with their glove on the ground as the starting position.

Ugh, this one drives me nuts. One of my girls went to a multi-org all-star game and the head coach "corrected" her to do this. (I teach a simple athletic stance, 2 thumbs up to show me you're ready.) She asked me afterward why would you do that when the ball's probably not coming straight to you. I was so proud.

Oct 26, 2019
I have had pretty good success with the younger girls teaching “the hop”. It’s fun for them to do and it’s easy to tell when they didn’t. It’s also what many high level college and pros are doing so there must be something to it.

Apr 17, 2019
I have had pretty good success with the younger girls teaching “the hop”. It’s fun for them to do and it’s easy to tell when they didn’t. It’s also what many high level college and pros are doing so there must be something to it.

I teach "prep steps" as the pitcher is delivering. Softball ready is what you do when coach shouts "Softball Ready" to remind you to do your prep steps. ;)

Oct 26, 2019
Should've made our own thread, lol. He may have convinced me with the rationale about eliminating false steps.

It’s a move taken from tennis players when they receive serve. Many pro baseball players are starting to do it now. Dustin Pedroia comes to mind among others.

Apr 17, 2019
It’s a move taken from tennis players when they receive serve. Many pro baseball players are starting to do it now. Dustin Pedroia comes to mind among others.

Yeah, I'm a tennis player too. It's not just on serve, hop when they hit. Part of the reason in tennis is you're recovering back to position, the split step (hop) allows a quick rebalancing so you're ready to move in any direction.
I've seen the hop in softball before, but didn't realize it originated from tennis before today. Makes sense here too.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
There are some exceptions, like Ted Williams and Dusty Baker. But, most of the really great athletes can't explain what they are doing. It is not their job.
Even Ted Williams had some things wrong. In "The Science of Hitting" there is a part where he says that you hit the low pitch by bending more in the knees. Now I'm going to have to find my copy and look for that section.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Been away for awhile and came back to going from wrist flips to the hop all in one post. What did I miss???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles