The best not knowing what they do (did)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I never realized (or even looked) that Monica Abbott didn't realize what she pitched until i saw this. see :32 seconds into video with the wrist flip. I am not trying to call her out at all, just going back and forth with the hitting threads that MLB'rs say one thing and do another. Reals vs feels. I have seen Finch do it but i guess i was just surprised by this video. A long time ago before slow motion video. Things have changed.

Apr 28, 2014
I never understood why people have such a negative opinion on wrist flips.
I think it's rooted in the fact that wrists are joints not muscles. Wouldn't do knee flexes before pitching.
Not saying I agree or disagree but that's I've heard.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think it's rooted in the fact that wrists are joints not muscles. Wouldn't do knee flexes before pitching.
Not saying I agree or disagree but that's I've heard.
Can’t move a joint without moving muscle(s)

most people who are anti wrist flip say it’s a movement not found in a pitchers motion, so it doesn’t belong in a pitchers warm up. But if that’s the standard then zero warm up exercises, stretches, dynamic stretches... belong in any players warm up. When’s the last time a fielder caught a fly ball while doing butt kickers on her way to it?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can’t move a joint without moving muscle(s)

most people who are anti wrist flip say it’s a movement not found in a pitchers motion, so it doesn’t belong in a pitchers warm up. But if that’s the standard then zero warm up exercises, stretches, dynamic stretches... belong in any players warm up. When’s the last time a fielder caught a fly ball while doing butt kickers on her way to it?

I have mixed opinions about wrist flips. I don't want a pitcher trying to force the wrist action (trying to muscle it). But I also don't want them to actively try to prevent it from happening. The writs is going to move. You just need to let it happen. In other words I see it as a result, not a cause.

Aug 20, 2017
I have never understood the thought of warming up 2 feet from the catcher doing wrist flips for 30 minutes. Why not start 15 feet and at least do an arm circle?

Sep 29, 2014
I think the issue with wrist flips is it places the focus on the wrong thing. If they really were needed wouldn't baseball pitchers use them since your wrist "flips" when you throw overhand or wouldn't we all do it when we warm up? Think about any sport with people throwing or handling a ball or anything really do you see any of them isolating their wrist in that manner for any motion they use.

Apr 17, 2019
My issue is that it's impossible to time a wrist snap. This (to me) is one of the fundamental flaws with Hello Elbow. Try to teach a 8yo that they're going whip their arm around the circle really fast, and snap their wrist at the exact right millisecond. It's nonsense. Like others have said, the wrist snap is a result of other mechanics. HE trained pitchers don't actually snap their wrist doing a full speed pitch. That's why the what they do vs what they teach discrepancy. Their bodies figured it out in spite of their brains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad