Hello elbow, the flap and a waste of time. What is the ethical thing to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
My DD had batting practice tonight. In the next 2 tunnels were pitching coaches teaching a string of methods that are hard to understand in this information age. I saw them work with 3 pitchers – 12, 14 and 15 year olds. Each of the pitchers struggled even though they are terrific athletes. Here’s why.

Hello elbow – After the pitcher released the ball, she would lift her elbow up at least to shoulder level if not higher. If the pitcher didn’t raise it high enough, the coach would correct her and help her by showing her how high it should go. The pitchers clearly released the ball and then dutifully raised the elbow as instructed afterwards.

Completely closed style – The pitcher launched themselves towards the catcher with very little opening and released the ball with the body pointing directly at the catcher. The arm path was wobbly and it was not a pure circle. Each of the pitchers had to go around their hip to release the ball. They often “suitcased” the ball and released it with the thumb almost pointing to the catcher.

Bowling – There was no internal rotation. The hand (and often the elbow) was behind the ball for most of the arm circle. Sometimes their elbow would bend before release.

Weight forward at release – The pitchers often walked through the front side instead of pitching against resistance and keeping their weight back. Sometimes their right side would swing around the plant leg at release like a slow moving garden gate (all three pitchers were right handed).

The flap – The pitchers used a flap attached to their leg. I assume it was the Markwort Perfect Circle Pitcher's Training Aid. The flap was on a wide elastic band that went around their thigh. They had it positioned so it stuck out directly to the right of the body. If the pitchers got open at all, they would not be able to touch the flap at any time in the release phase of the motion.

All three pitchers were very slow and were wildly inconsistent.

I remember posts about the Hansen principle. These folks can’t be comparing themselves to anybody else. The pitching coaches had pretty good careers in high school and college locally. I can’t imagine they actually pitch like they are teaching.

These parents are dedicated and their DD’s are great kids.

I keep rolling over in my head what I should do. There are a couple of problems. I can’t imagine these pitchers can succeed. I wasted several years with a pitching coach before I could research enough to have a strong opinion. I wish I could have changed pitching coaches earlier. Also the owner of the facility is my DD’s batting coach and she is absolutely terrific. She has made a big difference in my daughter. Recently there have been a lot of new baseball/softball facilities opening up within a 6 mile radius. Competition is going to get hot. If the pitchers flop it will hurt her business. Also if the ladies move to other pitching coaches, that will hurt her business too.

Should I say anything to either of them? What is the ethical thing to do?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
This sounds like a lose lose scenario, unfortunately. If you keep quiet, things go on as normal...a lot of good folks wasting their money on what they think is the right thing in sending their daughters for pitching instruction, most likely not knowing right from wrong, good form bad. Eventually, most of these girls will be surpassed by other girls that are getting the proper instruction, and will lose interest in pitching. Some will lose interest in the sport, especially if their hearts desire is to pitch, and they doubt their ability because the other girls are so much better.

On the other hand, if you challenge them on what they are teaching, you've insulted them. You're the know all prophecy that never pitched a game of softball in your life....and you're going to tell them they're teaching a poor technique? Doubtful that you change their philosophy. They would likely start throwing names out there of girls that went through their program that were very successful. But as we all know...some kids will figure it out on their own. If they're motivated, athletic kids, there's a a chance they just get it, regardless of the poor instruction, whether it be by watching other successful pitchers on the team, or by doing their own online research and tripping on the right resource.

The absolute WORST thing that happens to cause these instructional facilities to become accepted is that they produce even ONE of these phenom pitchers that did NOTHING they were taught, and just got it on their own. The facility gets recognition for being the source of that success, and the misery continues for the vast majority of the families whose kids aren't lucky enough to figure it out on their own.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree... keeping quiet is a popular decision (to avoid confrontation) I know of some similar stories where someone spoke up and even though he was absolutely right in what corrections he was suggesting ... he was labeled by the crowd as a "know it all" and then the crowd would collectively roll their eyes at him. Parents who choose a coach for their kid often dont research. They simply get their information from others (usually a bucket dad at the local rec league whose dd had some success at a low level) and not by studying the process for themselves. If they would really look at how the most successful players in the world do it and how they practice, and then make a comparison to their pitching coach. See how well the styles compare... or conflict.
Bottom line... if your coach cant explain the WHY we do certain things but is quick to say "cuz I said so" or "trust me" you should probably look into another coach.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
MYOB is what I say. Not only do the coaches owe it to themselves to research and learn new things, its up to the parents who are paying the bill to open their eyes and watch high level softball and then ask themselves one question, do any of these top pitchers raise their elbow shoulder high? They should be online learning. Probably 50% of the posters here began with a HE instructor and quickly figured it out.

No good can come from talking to the owner (who damn well should know what good pitching looks like), for you.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Bottom line... if your coach cant explain the WHY we do certain things but is quick to say "cuz I said so" or "trust me" you should probably look into another coach.

Taking it a step further. The coach should be able to demonstrate with a reasonably fast and accurate pitch. If the steps he is teaching work and can be adapted by a teenage girls he/she should be able to do it.

I would be bold enough to graciously say - "could the coach demonstrate a pitch with the mechanics? Could I tape the coach throwing a pitch with the mechanics".

I regularly step into the cage against 55 mph and I pitch BP (probably throw about 48 mph) to make sure that IR really is right. If I cannot do it...it must be to complicated for a kid.

Apr 25, 2010
Would it be possible to take a similar aged kid, with good mechanics in there to "practice" while the other students are there for their lesson? Maybe the example would be enough to trigger the parents or coaches to ask some questions.

Jan 24, 2011
Would it be possible to take a similar aged kid, with good mechanics in there to "practice" while the other students are there for their lesson? Maybe the example would be enough to trigger the parents or coaches to ask some questions.

Most parents are still going to listen to the coach that they are paying. I have a player on my team that really needs to change PC , but they have been with their current one for a long time and they have an established relationship. Pretty much what he says to do is what they are going to do.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Should I say anything to either of them?

I am up to 4 facilities and counting that teach pitching the way you are describing. If you want to make it your life’s quest to fix almost all the facilities in the country more power to you otherwise I would just be quite.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If the owner of the facility is truly a "friend of yours" you could ask her if she is open to some observations that you have made. Keep it simple but say that what you are seeing is different than what is out there in the literature. Not that what they are doing is wrong but that it is different. Let her pursue it as she deems appropriate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414