Hello elbow, the flap and a waste of time. What is the ethical thing to do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry another post:

My father was looking for some indoor space for baseball and stumbled on a pitching clinic going on. He said 1 pitcher was pitching really fast and I should check it out. I looked it up and they run it every Saturday for a few months starting in Nov. or Oct. I am always looking for softball clinics for my DD.

Went up there a week and a ½ ago to check it out and they had about 30 girls pitching which means they are doing something right. The 10 and under they had long enough that they all had very pretty HE and pitching closed.

Ironically the player pitching fast, 13 YO, had more of an IR type motion so obviously this location was not who initial trained her. No one seemed to care that the best pitcher pitched different then everyone else.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
What you are describing, I cant believe anyone still teaches that.

Get on the net and download the 'Steadman - Hawkins report to coaches', it is several pages long and spells out exactly what the safest mechanics are for an underhand pitcher.

Print that out and give it to them.

The Steadman - Hawkins Institute of Sports Medicine is the worlds leading authority on sports injury prevention.

http://www.softballclinics.com/olympic/olympics01.html

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011

Get on the net and download the 'Steadman - Hawkins report to coaches', it is several pages long and spells out exactly what the safest mechanics are for an underhand pitcher.

The Steadman - Hawkins Institute of Sports Medicine is the worlds leading authority on sports injury prevention.

Do you really believe those parents and PC are going to take the time to read that. I seriously doubt it

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Do you really believe those parents and PC are going to take the time to read that. I seriously doubt it

At least it wont be our poster saying it, thats all you can do. Then, when the kids start getting injured, you have done what you could reasoinably do to let them know of the risk.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ

Softball Pitching at the 1996 Olympic Games

Funny, you should mention Steadman Hawkins. I have read it many times and I keep a dog-eared copy in my computer bag. That report was instrumental in forming my opinions about the right methods. I am thinking strongly about taking a previous poster's advice and just talk to the owner. I would relay Steadman as a centerpiece of my observations.

The facility owner is a very good batting instructor and can relate very well with the kids. My DD is better off in many ways by working with her. I am concerned about the long term viability of the facility if this is the level of pitching instruction. She has a combination of process, toughness, compassion and insight that makes her a great instructor. I wonder why her observations are not so keen about the others that work there.

I will find a good time to raise the subject with her.

It will be interesting to see how she reacts.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ

I don't believe the parents are to the simmering level of frustration that they would consider a new process. Not many are at the place where they can take that report, and look at their own situation with clarity. Most parents I know look at new information only to find back up for what they already believe.

We changed to a new PC several years ago because I kept looking at the best pitchers in the area and what the coach was teaching, wasn't what I was seeing the local pitchers do. After going to the new PC, he started teaching a method very much like what this board would consider a consensus process. It's been a long and satisfying process, but we lost a lot of time trying to undo the muscle memory accumulated from the first coach.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Sorry another post:

My father was looking for some indoor space for baseball and stumbled on a pitching clinic going on. He said 1 pitcher was pitching really fast and I should check it out. I looked it up and they run it every Saturday for a few months starting in Nov. or Oct. I am always looking for softball clinics for my DD.

Went up there a week and a ½ ago to check it out and they had about 30 girls pitching which means they are doing something right. The 10 and under they had long enough that they all had very pretty HE and pitching closed.

Ironically the player pitching fast, 13 YO, had more of an IR type motion so obviously this location was not who initial trained her. No one seemed to care that the best pitcher pitched different then everyone else.

Quincy, I went to another facility for baseball practice with my son. It's a large converted warehouse that is able to be broken into quarters for four reasonably large practice spaces.

In one of the quadrants, the resident fastpitch pitching coach was holding a clinic with 30+ girls. She was teaching the hello elbow and staying closed. It looked like some sort of odd choreography where they would throw in unison, follow through and then all of them move the elbow up as a clearly disconnected and awkward afterthought. It was also a case study in what happens when you throw around your hip. They most often missed the target high the opposite of their pitching side. It was like a sporty version of a ‘50’s Busby Berkeley dance number. All it lacked was a row of water fountains.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If you want to mention my name as the one who suggested you talk with the facility owner, feel free, might help ya there. You can also add that facility owners are also liable for any injuries that happen as a result of mechanics that asre known to be unsafe. Most of what were mentioned falls into that category.

If the owner is any type of business person, YYou simply say "You may have a major LIABILITY problem here". That will get their attention.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
My first thought was that the biggest liability was to her (the owners's) pocketbook as students and tenants drift away from a lack of success. However the injury issue is real as well.

Although, 2 of the 3 pitchers aren't throwing the ball hard enough to hurt anything. As an umpire told my college catcher during a particularly bad out outing, "The only thing that pitcher has on his fastball is his fingerprints!" : )

Jul 26, 2010
Left Turn, I think you're confused about open and closed mechanics. Close = facing the catcher. Open = facing third base (RHP).

-W

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00