First session with a PC/What to expect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I just did a search on softball pitching and injuries. If you teach the windmill, they there is a report that you can increase the chances of bicep injuries. I found a 1989 study that said that pitching injuries are the result of overuse but didn't mention mechanics at all. Found another article that said that shoulder injures happen because there is no protocol for arm care both in games and practice and that softball pitchers practice too much. The Andrews Institute again mentions over use but does not cover mechanics. The only mechanic's articles/research I found was about the dangers of the windmill motion. So, I guess if you teach that, someone can sue you.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
KenB, thanks and I read it. According to this article, and quoting, "A stride foot which is pointed toward third base (for a right-handed pitcher) at about a 10 to 30 degree angle is optimal for producing ball speed." The other conclusion besides arm circle is that if one deviates "too far from the power line" then they are subject to injuries. Hope no one teaches those steps to the side for screwballs.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It also recommends the arm should be at the top of the circle at foot plant. Hoping an updated study comes out someday.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm reading the recommendation to be 10-30 degrees towards 3rd from 0, or straight. That would make more sense as the fastest pitchers seem to plant around this angle. In my mind, pointed at or near 3rd would be very stressful.

Nov 29, 2009
One thing I really liked about my DD's instructions on learning how to snap the wrist and and the wrist/hip relationship was that my DD told the young lady that she didn't care where the ball ended up because the student was just learning some of this stuff and so, they could laugh if the ball hit the top of the cage once in a while

It's funny... When I work with a new student and start to make some corrections I will point towards the plate and tell them I don't care where the ball goes. That is not important right now. Then I'll ask if anyone has ever said that to them before? They always answer "No." Then I explain to them once everything is correct in the circle with her mechanics the rest of the pitch will take care of itself. It usually gets me a funny look until the girls start seeing results.

Once the girls understand that learning how to pitch is process driven rather than results driven they advance much faster with the results taking care of itself.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
CB,

I will use the stride foot coming down at 90 degrees as an example. If an instructor teaches that and a kid blows out her knee. The lawyer places a well respected Ortho surgeon on the stand, demonstratesd that unsafe landinbg and the Ortho surgeon says that is ridiculously unsafe to do and that is exactly what caused the injury.

Back in, I believe, 2000, two Ortho surgeons had several young pitchers with Spinal Stress fractures of the Lumbar spine. They met with each other as it was quite alarming, the girls were all softball pitchers. A little more inquiries found they all went to the samr instructor, one who taught them the now infamous 'Forward dip'. They went public with that information and a lawsuit happened. This was in Pennsylvania.

A few years later I saw that same motion at a turney. I found out who was teaching it and let her know what had happened back East. She didnt care.

All I am saying is that it only takes a doctor on the stand to prove it isnt safe, as far as a judge or jury is concerned. I am sure it was the facilities liability insurance carrier that was forcing the issue of those 'Liability waivers. needing to be signed. There is direct, indirect and vicarious liability. As I said those papers are worthless.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
On a similar note, the last academy I worked at incorporated at one point. The attorney and the liability carrier came through and checked the place out while 5 or 6 instructors were working. They saw pitcher's dads catching with no protective gear. A week later every lane had its own catchers mask and chest protector. The dads hated them and many refused to wear them. I had to point them out to the dads and recommend they used them, and I had to sign a statement that I would make them avasilable to ANYUONE CATCHING a pitcher.

All but one dad refused to wear them. I had to note that in the players file.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So I did a little more research and found three names I want to throw out there that might get more feedback as potential PCs.

Don Sarno-This would be a bit of a drive for us but if we are only going twice month or so we could manage it. Looks like he is well respected and has impeccable credentials.

Stan Hunt- A little closer geographically but also seems to have quite a pedigree.

Jason Luli- Quite a bit closer, accomplished pitcher.

Let me know if anyone has any feedback on them.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"I just did a search on softball pitching and injuries. If you teach the windmill, they there is a report that you can increase the chances of bicep injuries.'

I dont doubt that a bit. Stop the arm circle at the hip and what else would you expect to happen. Rulebook says to release the ball in front of the hip. Maybe now you know why. Just sayin.....

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad