Target on DD's back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
If anyone gets a hit or even just puts the ball in play they get super excited and overly celebrate.

You should look at this as a compliment. Your daughter is SO good that when they do manage to hit her they're that excited that they celebrate it.

I remember at her age, I was playing a friend who went onto become an Australian pitcher. No-one ever hit her. I'd played with her at school and I played against her at rep. She'd shut out every team that she played. I hit a two bagger against her. Our bench and our parents went wild, purely for the fact I was the first person all weekend to even put a ball fair. Not because they wanted her to fail. They were happy for ME.

From how you've described it, you're looking at it purely from your daughter's point of view. Not from the other girls POV. They are probably beside themselves with joy at hitting her, especially if she's throwing three no hitters beforehand. It's not a slam at her.

Change your thinking on how to deal with this. You haven't mentioned that anyone else has become nasty to you off the field. Or even really on the field. They're just happy when one of their daughters succeeds. I fail to see any wrong with that.

In regards to her still playing LL if she's not enjoying it, she shouldn't play. Have her finish the season and then not have her play next year. If she's not being challenged then it's probably not good for her anyway.

Sep 3, 2009
Your dd does indeed have a target on her back. I'm sure there's some parent jealousy going on. If she's one of the best, then clearly it is an achievement for their kid to pull a hit off one of the best. Understandable.

Lozza said it better than anyone probably could.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
These people were not your friends. I have seen it over and over. My husband had a high ranking job in IL. and the people that were "hangers on" were innumerable. Then, after he retired, we found out who our friends were. These former friends were no where to be found.

You should feel sorry for these mopes that have their priorities wrong and are putting so much pressure on their young daughters to compete, when they physically can't.

Move on and be the better person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBB_ekJSi_A Tracy Lawrence, You Find Out Who Your Friends Are

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I sometimes want to tell my DD just to put a fastball between their DD's shoulders next time the parents celebrate like that. I haven't. But I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind.

This statement is really scary...

Aside from that; yeah, many of us either have experienced this exact thing, or have in the past.

The fact that your DD "has a target on her back" is the best compliment that a pitcher can have. It means the other pitchers, players and parents are jealous and/or afraid of her.

As for LL; if she is completely dominant and not having fun playing the game, she should finish the season and not play LL again. It sounds to me like she should be playing ONLY on a TB team. It's OK to move on as long as that is what your DD wants to do.

Now for you... The other parents will get over it, and if they don't they were never your friend in the first place. In our experience, once our DD was out of LL for a year the other parents lightened up and started talking to us again. The parent/friends that we have made through TB have been very supportive of our DD (except for a couple of the ones with DD's who lost a pitching position to ours) and want to see her succeed as much as we do.

Remember, this is not your game it is your DD's game.

Sep 10, 2010
I think alot of us parents on here have seen this, amd is nothing new....we are in a small community, and i think its worse because in our case it rolled over from the field to the school....some parents need to quit living through their kids....i thought it was funny when we quit little league to see our facebook "friends" list get shorter.....i just sit back and think what happens when these kids have to play high school sports together.......in the end its the kids that get screwed....

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD starting playing again this week and is competing directly against a few players. 1st game she came back she batted last and was in the outfield all game. Lasted 2 games. She is back to the leadoff hitter and our #1 pitcher. She was missed.

There are a few parents that are rooting for her to fail because they want their DD ahead of her in pitching, fielding and batting. Oh well.

DD is going to give 100% and root for all the other players. If they beat her out so be it, they are going to have to earn it.

Jan 25, 2011
My dd has the same thing happenimg to her.I know how you feel,but after awhile enjoy it.My dd loves to show them up,especially the girls that play on the local TB team,my dd plays on another TB team in a different city,but has to play LL where she lives.DD just loves striking those girls out,and getting big hits off of them.So if dd doesn't mind then don't sweat it.

Nov 29, 2009
she told me she didn't want to play LL anymore. It wasn't enjoyable.

Your DD is telling you she is bored with beating weaker teams and players. She wants to be challenged. This is the trait of an athlete who has the "Eye of the Tiger" in her DNA. That is a great thing.

Unfortunately, all the off the field nonsense comes from the weaker player parents. She'll have to learn how to deal with it. IF anything it will help her with her concentration in the circle. She needs to learn how to block out the nonsense. There is one of the best visual representations of the being in the zone I have ever seen in a move. It is in the Kevin Kostner movie For the Love of the Game. It is the scene where he has taken the rubber at the very start of the game. The only thing in focus is the catcher, hitter and himself. Everything else is just a blur, white nose, and it is quiet. I make sure all my pitchers watch that scene. It gives them the understanding of being in the zone.

The kids all know who is best and who is not. They will tell you straight up that so-and-so is the best pitcher around. Often that works to the pitcher's advantage. The other teams tighten up against her and don't play up to their ability simply because the other pitcher is so much "Better" in their minds.

I really wouldn't worry about the "Friends" if I were you. There are always other people to meet in the softball world. The best thing to do is to try and meet those who share your team first views. You and your DD will be much happier. I doubt your find that in LL.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
I think that any successful pitcher on a travel team will dominate a rec league. If your daughter is as good as you say then maybe it is time to hang up the rec shoes and play exclusively on a travel team. Think of it like this, if your daughter isn't being challenged on the mound then she isn't getting better and obviously the rec league isn't a challenge for her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma