Increased velocity with weighted ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2020
My daughter was wanting to increase her velocity and it was recommended to use a 9 oz ball for some drills. She was doing a perpendicular drill that was in a velocity program from Rick Pauly and I noticed she was throwing the weighted ball faster than she did the regular one. (Rick Pauly's course didn't mention or recommend the weighed ball but seemed like a good drill to test it on) I grabbed a pocket radar to confirm, and she was 3 mph faster with the 9 oz ball. It was a limited sample size of about 10 throws with the weighted ball but still didn't make much sense. I wasn't sure if the weighted ball was a good idea and didn't want to over do it. I was wondering if this could point toward a mechanical issue of some sort? The only thing she could think of was that she focused on staying lose with the weighted ball.

Apr 17, 2019
F=ma. increase the mass, the force will increase.

Or maybe K=1/2(m x v^2) is more appropriate.

Either way: more mass, more fast.

ETA: I'm not sure I'd do the perp powerline drill with a weighted ball. That drill puts a lot of stretch on the rotator cuff. I don't use weighted balls in the pitching motion though, so couldn't recommend a good one. I defer to other coaches to chime in on that.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
If you increase the mass, the acceleration will decrease to give the same force. I doubt she would be throwing a shotput faster than a softball. I've seen people use lighter balls to get better radar numbers.

There's obviously a tipping point to where the muscles can't handle the weight and will slow down to compensate, like you say. Sounds like she's strong enough to whip around 9oz, though.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
F=ma. increase the mass, the force will increase.

Or maybe K=1/2(m x v^2) is more appropriate.

Either way: more mass, more fast.

ETA: I'm not sure I'd do the perp powerline drill with a weighted ball. That drill puts a lot of stretch on the rotator cuff. I don't use weighted balls in the pitching motion though, so couldn't recommend a good one. I defer to other coaches to chime in on that.

Ummm, how come we can see speed increase in underload balls? I have 6, 5, and 4 ounce balls. All things considered you should see higher reading on those balls.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I have increased speed with a weighted ball. Better whip, lag because of the weight and better finishing the release. Better snap might not be technically correct.

Oct 26, 2019
Every ball is a weighted ball. Not sure why she would throw the heavier one faster though… certainly not a mathematical reason for it.

Feb 6, 2020
Every ball is a weighted ball. Not sure why she would throw the heavier one faster though… certainly not a mathematical reason for it.
I think she must be tense when throwing normally and was more relaxed/looser with the weighted ball. Will play around with it again later this week and hopefully can keep the increase when switching back to the normal ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles