Increased velocity with weighted ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
What is wrong with dads doing it on their own? Would you have an issue if a dad threw a football with his DD? A football weighs around 16oz. Or maybe hit tennis balls with a tennis racket weighing around 12oz? It’s not like God commanded that the perfect weight for a softball was 7oz and anything other than 7oz is risking injury.
Someone hasn't read the original Hebrew text of the Bible, where in Euphilinessesse 13:6, Jesus spoke to his disciple and proclaimed, "Dude, you're gonna wreck your kids shoulder throwing those over weighted rocks like that."

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
What is wrong with dads doing it on their own? Would you have an issue if a dad threw a football with his DD? A football weighs around 16oz. Or maybe hit tennis balls with a tennis racket weighing around 12oz? It’s not like God commanded that the perfect weight for a softball was 7oz and anything other than 7oz is risking injury.

I suspect the injuries that happen with weighted balls have more to do with the intensity and volume and less to do with the weight. I recommended 20% overload and underload earlier in this thread as a great (and very safe) starting point, that also won’t alter mechanics.

My point is - a lot of folks think that throwing weighted balls are scary. They can be done safely with just a little bit of research.

That's the thing. Dads watch a YouTube video and then go out and throw 50 pitches with a weighted ball and it causes mechanic issues and injuries. Throwing a football isn't a proper analogy at all.

Check with the pitching instructor, do what they say. Don't make shirt up off of random YouTube videos. Unless, of course, you want to mess up your DD.

I'm not addressing you. I'm addressing the others I see on Facebook and in my life who blindly follow random YouTube videos or take advice from strangers on Facebook. And yes, it makes me sad.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Without weighted rocks David would have never had the velo to take down Goliath.

There's a very interesting story about David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. Turns out, David was the favorite in that battle. It's a great read if you have time.

Turns out Goliath suffered from a disease that made him larger than normal, but also severely limited his eyesight. During the battle he repeatedly calls out "Come closer and fight me" to David. David just sits back and literally hides in plain sight. Goliath will destroy anyone he gets near. David never gets near. They also go on to replicate the sling and rock and determine the speed and force and what a blow like that would do to a human head.

"Three thousand years ago on a battlefield in ancient Palestine, a shepherd boy felled a mighty warrior with nothing more than a stone and a sling, and ever since then the names of David and Goliath have stood for battles between underdogs and giants. David's victory was improbable and miraculous. He shouldn't have won.

Or should he have?"

"He was an underdog and a misfit, and that gave him the freedom to try things no one else even dreamt of."

Aug 21, 2008
There's a very interesting story about David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. Turns out, David was the favorite in that battle. It's a great read if you have time.

Turns out Goliath suffered from a disease that made him larger than normal, but also severely limited his eyesight. During the battle he repeatedly calls out "Come closer and fight me" to David. David just sits back and literally hides in plain sight. Goliath will destroy anyone he gets near. David never gets near. They also go on to replicate the sling and rock and determine the speed and force and what a blow like that would do to a human head.

"Three thousand years ago on a battlefield in ancient Palestine, a shepherd boy felled a mighty warrior with nothing more than a stone and a sling, and ever since then the names of David and Goliath have stood for battles between underdogs and giants. David's victory was improbable and miraculous. He shouldn't have won.

Or should he have?"

"He was an underdog and a misfit, and that gave him the freedom to try things no one else even dreamt of."
I heard that story too by Gladwell, it was fascinating.

It's been speculated that Goliath had the same condition as Andre the Giant, the late pro wrestler.

Oct 26, 2019

Or should he have?"

I love Gladwells stuff. Outliers is a great book. There is a chapter about Canadian youth hockey where he breaks down the chance of a kid making the NHL depending on the month they are born.

Oct 26, 2019
That's the thing. Dads watch a YouTube video and then go out and throw 50 pitches with a weighted ball and it causes mechanic issues and injuries. Throwing a football isn't a proper analogy at all.

Check with the pitching instructor, do what they say. Don't make shirt up off of random YouTube videos. Unless, of course, you want to mess up your DD.

I'm not addressing you. I'm addressing the others I see on Facebook and in my life who blindly follow random YouTube videos or take advice from strangers on Facebook. And yes, it makes me sad.
I get what you are saying. I also caution folks blindly following pitching coaches too. Youth soccer had all these coach certifications and stuff to at least try to validate some coaches. Baseball and softball will let any Tom, Dick, or Harry coach or give lessons.

In short, there is no better substitute for doing your own research. The info is out there it’s up to the individual to disseminate it.

Oct 4, 2018
I love Gladwells stuff. Outliers is a great book. There is a chapter about Canadian youth hockey where he breaks down the chance of a kid making the NHL depending on the month they are born.

Yes, that was an eye-opening and very fun read.

Feb 6, 2020
I was able to get some video over the weekend.

She has taken lessons and each instructor has helped her improve and overall she has had a great experience. Her goal is really just be able to participate at the high school level and feels like she needs to be able to throw a little harder to have a chance. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles