Increased velocity with weighted ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I was able to get some video over the weekend.

She has taken lessons and each instructor has helped her improve and overall she has had a great experience. Her goal is really just be able to participate at the high school level and feels like she needs to be able to throw a little harder to have a chance. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-At the start of the pitch, it looks like the left leg is not contributing much to the push-out. Possibly a quad dominance vs glute dominance issue if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

-At 9 o'clock there should be more bend in the pitching arm. I believe Rick Pauly suggests 135 degrees at that point, best I can tell she is at 160 degrees at 9 o'clock. This would give more whip.

-At 6 o'clock her hips are clearing the path and the back toe (right foot) looks to be more of an anchor rather than turned in with the shoe laces facing the catcher

Those are what I see and are not listed in any particular order of importance.

Feb 6, 2020
-At the start of the pitch, it looks like the left leg is not contributing much to the push-out. Possibly a quad dominance vs glute dominance issue if you want to go down that rabbit hole.

-At 9 o'clock there should be more bend in the pitching arm. I believe Rick Pauly suggests 135 degrees at that point, best I can tell she is at 160 degrees at 9 o'clock. This would give more whip.

-At 6 o'clock her hips are clearing the path and the back toe (right foot) looks to be more of an anchor rather than turned in with the shoe laces facing the catcher

Thanks, we have noticed the potential quad dominance and she has been doing some weightlifting to try and strengthen her glutes, hamstrings and hip flexors. Being stronger will help but needs to apply it also.
We'll work on getting more bend in the arm and I remember Rick Pauly saying 135 degrees in one of his videos. Clearing the path is a habit she picked up when younger and has been very difficult to break.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I always recommend long toss if you can get outside. The intention and practice of throwing the ball as far as you can will let the body self organize. The body will recruit the proper muscles and create the neural pathways necessary to accomplish the task, in this case throwing the ball a long way. Here is Monica Abbott doing long toss, it starts at the 4 minute mark. If you watch the whole video there is some interesting stuff about J-bands and such, just pay no attention to the part where she talks about snapping the wrist, she's as indoctrinated as anyone else.

Feb 6, 2020
I always recommend long toss if you can get outside. The intention and practice of throwing the ball as far as you can will let the body self organize. The body will recruit the proper muscles and create the neural pathways necessary to accomplish the task, in this case throwing the ball a long way. Here is Monica Abbott doing long toss, it starts at the 4 minute mark. If you watch the whole video there is some interesting stuff about J-bands and such, just pay no attention to the part where she talks about snapping the wrist, she's as indoctrinated as anyone else.

We did some long toss in the fall and will get back to when it warms up. Long toss really helped her use her legs more

Feb 6, 2020

I mentioned earlier in the thread that she seems to be throwing harder than expected from the Perpendicular drill that Rick Pauly has in his program. I'm wondering now if that could be related to clearing the path that she does in the full motion? She can't clear a path when doing the perpendicular drill so she might be transferring energy better to the ball.

Aug 1, 2019
MN

Not so much anything wrong with the content, It just seemed a little phony where a couple baseball guys are acting like they are teaching Monica Abbott how to do underhand long-toss.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The other thing I like about long toss is it helps correct the posture of pitchers who have a tendency to buckle at the waist and lean forward like they are bowling.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Thanks, we have noticed the potential quad dominance and she has been doing some weightlifting to try and strengthen her glutes, hamstrings and hip flexors. Being stronger will help but needs to apply it also.
We'll work on getting more bend in the arm and I remember Rick Pauly saying 135 degrees in one of his videos. Clearing the path is a habit she picked up when younger and has been very difficult to break.
In regards to the bend in the arm at 9 o'clock, of the few girls I have seen working with a heavy ball, they have little bend also. It might be due to the weight of the heavy ball where the body does not allow the arm to get too whippy.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
The other thing I like about long toss is it helps correct the posture of pitchers who have a tendency to buckle at the waist and lean forward like they are bowling.
I agree with this. I think long toss and just playing catch underhand are the 2 best self-correcting drills.

May 27, 2013
Another thing that helps activate the glutes more and doesn’t require equipment is to simply run up hills. DD would do about 20 of these per day up short, grassy hills and it helped a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles