Swing Evaluation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
how do we fix this iyo?
What has helped my DD was to talk in terms of locking her hands in to her shoulder. Don't allow the hands to come off the shoulder until after the torso/hand engine fires at the pitch. I never really got too much out of just saying resistance or sequence when trying to relay a specific movement or position. In having her hands locked to the shoulder position, that stops her from exaggerating the scap load, or the 'walk away from hands' cue. Hands locked and slightly lower the front shoulder seems to be an effective direction to my DD then keep everything locked and turn the barrel towards the pitch. And by Turn the Barrel i mean scrunch the obliques, or make orange, or mesh the gears, whatever you like but with the hands locked as there really isn't much movement of the hand position relative to the shoulder on the torso turn (IMO).

If I talk in terms of the whole torso moving together it works better for my DD. Not that it is correct, but if the hands are left behind, you get the arm bar. I also feel that when the hands are locked to the shoulder position it also helps force the torso tilt to the plane of the ball. If you dont lock them in, the hands can drop or raise more freely.

I know there are other little tweaks that will need to be made, but this has made all the difference for DD. We haven't gone against live pitching in a while, so we shall see when that happens.

Oct 2, 2017
So resist with the scap and let the core get ‘in front’ more? That would seem to exacerbate the problem no?

I wouldn't think so. Because you can only resist so much before the core etc. Pulls the elbow into the slot. It would cause them to lock up or sync up together, if that makes sense. To use myself as an example, to try and feel this to relay to my DD, I felt the resistance. By the way may swing is not that great, so just bear with it. LOL

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What has helped my DD was to talk in terms of locking her hands in to her shoulder. Don't allow the hands to come off the shoulder until after the torso/hand engine fires at the pitch. I never really got too much out of just saying resistance or sequence when trying to relay a specific movement or position. In having her hands locked to the shoulder position, that stops her from exaggerating the scap load, or the 'walk away from hands' cue. Hands locked and slightly lower the front shoulder seems to be an effective direction to my DD then keep everything locked and turn the barrel towards the pitch. And by Turn the Barrel i mean scrunch the obliques, or make orange, or mesh the gears, whatever you like but with the hands locked as there really isn't much movement of the hand position relative to the shoulder on the torso turn (IMO).

If I talk in terms of the whole torso moving together it works better for my DD. Not that it is correct, but if the hands are left behind, you get the arm bar. I also feel that when the hands are locked to the shoulder position it also helps force the torso tilt to the plane of the ball. If you dont lock them in, the hands can drop or raise more freely.

I know there are other little tweaks that will need to be made, but this has made all the difference for DD. We haven't gone against live pitching in a while, so we shall see when that happens.

I like the premise behind what your post says. This all depends on if ‘what’ is making ‘what’ move and where the energy is being transferred. If you pull back early or too much with intent to hold.. balance, sequence as well as force production issues can/will arise. Flipping the barrel at the ball from the backside usually is the result since the frontside is late to be leveraged.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I like the premise behind what your post says. This all depends on if ‘what’ is making ‘what’ move and where the energy is being transferred. If you pull back early or too much with intent to hold.. balance, sequence as well as force production issues can/will arise. Flipping the barrel at the ball from the backside usually is the result since the frontside is late to be leveraged.
Understood on the 'what's', that was my comment on still needing to tweak things. However my DD was able to eliminate a lot of the negative doing this. Yes it created other negatives, but not as big in my opinion.

What do you mean by the bold above? Mostly the first part of the statement.

Jun 28, 2019
If DD can't or won't adjust what is the downside to this swing?

IE losing power, less contact, popping up, struggle against movement, can't adjust, everything is on the ground, gets jammed, can't hit specific pitches?

Her default is to do things the hard way. So I wouldn't be surprised if her swing makes hitting harder for her. Finding good hitting coaches is hard. She's been to former D1 players, current D1 hitting coach (theyve won their conference 10 of the last 11 years) former D1 hitting coach, minor league ball players.

Is this something a quality hitting coach would notice and fix?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1