Swing Evaluation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Please lets see a few live pitching swings. In this video her timing is way off and I'm guessing its becuase its front toss.

Her foot comes down then she reaches back a lot more after that then goes forward, at foot down she should be back already.

Her sequence in this clip is actually load (kinda more of sway back as others have pointed out), then foot down, then coil, then forward.

The correct sequence is load, coil, foot down, forward component of swing.

My guess is her live swing isn't like this which is why I don't want to recommend anything without a live pitch first

Jun 28, 2019
She is strong so fix some mechanics and she could be a killer.

Fix back foot. Leaking power. Toes should point straight back at plate.

Gets into back knee heavy, would like to see her get into back hip, try straightening the back knee more on the gather.

Hips don't load. Losing power there. Would like to see her back left pocket working to the pitcher or her front heel getting pointing to pitcher during the gather.

Bat path looks pretty good. Back elbow gets slotted lead arm works up.

Does't finish through the ball. She should drive her back shoulder to point at the pitcher. If standing in the left handed batters box you should clearly see her numbers on the finish. Practice the Happy Gilmore drill with the intentions of going through the ball and finishing with shoulder pointing to pitcher.

She does pretty well the hardest thing for young players. Right bat path. My guess is her strikeouts where coming from bad timing which the other things above have a big part in helping correct.

Jun 28, 2019
I haven't done a lot of video until recently and mostly just practice with hitting coach and such. The first video is full speed during a JV game.

Second is the most recent game swing in a tournament about three weeks ago.

The third is the same JV game this is about the time things started to go off the rails. Finished HS season in a slump went on vacation for 3 weeks came back got a concussion in first game back out for 10 days came back got a staff infection in the knee limited for 5 days and now back to practicing regularly.

The Good ( in terms of results)

The Bad

The Ugly

Had a good hitting session today and focused on a few of the suggestions made earlier with good results.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
20200205.JPG

She brings her back elbow down, and does not move the bat head back toward the catcher. It's still in the 'start' position. The bat should be pointed well in the other direction by now (I call the 'hip slot' position ). There's no way to recover after this.

The bat head should be straight up at 'toe touch', then move inch for inch as the back elbow comes down.

Do dry drills holding a wiffle bat. Start with back elbow up, forearm flat, and bat straight up. Then 'swing' only until the back elbow hits the hip.

Bring the bat down in sync/unison with the back elbow. Then incorporate this into a dry drill with a bat. Use a mirror.

Oct 2, 2017
Here's another clip. Are you seeing the same thing here?

I see it on this swing also. My DD deals with the same thing. I think its because there is a disconnect. Meaning you don't slot the elbow, the elbow "Gets" slotted. I think part of the issue is that they are not creating resistance in the rear shoulder/scap and also the between the bicep and forearm against their core. If they were creating and or mainting that resistance then as the core and or rear hip unloads it will pull the elbow into the slot. Then as efastball said the barrel will arc rearward with the slot. I could be wrong. This is just my opinion. I would love to see what others have to say.

I would add also, that it could be a sequencing issue. Meaning that they are not timing up the separation and toe touch that well. Therefore they are usually trying to start the swing before even getting to toe touch. Doing so doesn't allow the player to leverage the body using the ground. Hence in this situation the elbow slots and nothing happens with the barrel of the bat.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here's another clip. Are you seeing the same thing here?

this is hip rotation. Not core rotation. It’s a form of drag. Notice your dds hips open while her core stays square.

So the hips are pulling the core and the core is pulling the chest and then the arms, hands and bat. Notice the lead arm laying on the chest as she’s just turning to the ball?

you want to see the belly button turn before the hips or at the same time. Pitch location dependent.

It’s the main reason she comes up and out of posture as well. No spacing.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
this is hip rotation. Not core rotation. It’s a form of drag. Notice your dds hips open while her core stays square.

So the hips are pulling the core and the core is pulling the chest and then the arms, hands and bat. Notice the lead arm laying on the chest as she’s just turning to the ball?

you want to see the belly button turn before the hips or at the same time. Pitch location dependent.

It’s the main reason she comes up and out of posture as well. No spacing.

Correct !! It happens when hitters don't release (relax) the initial core contraction which allows the core (obliques) to stretch against a leveraged fyb hitting position.

BrNac9D.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying