Motion Review (Video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2023
They may not use the same terminology as most of this board uses (IR (internal rotation), whip, brush, etc.). Tincher teaches IR, but calls it fluid dynamics(iirc), Fastpitch Power uses the term forearm fire for almost the same thing.

Knowing what they call their methodology can help determine if she’s learning the correct mechanics. Look at pitching instruction from just 10 years ago - and yet, there was no shortage of good college pitchers - many succeed or figure it out despite the firm beliefs in wrist snaps and other drills that’s since been proven to have a marginal (if any) impact on speed or accuracy.

As mentioned earlier - look through the IR in the Classroom thread, and compare it to what your daughters learning. Compare video. And ask lots of questions (palm up behind her? Should her elbow be bent or straight? Foot plant at 90 degrees to the plate or 45? Etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, this is helpful. I’ll discuss this tonight at our session.

Oct 4, 2018
Thank you. I did reach out a few this morning even if just for a second opinion or another set of eyes.

Excellent. As a pitcher's dad, I know the feelings. And I hope neither you nor your DD are worried. It's such a long journey and most all of us have periods of little improvement. Y'all have years to get this right, and my honest opinion is that 5 lessons with Tincher will show huge results (if you do the drills, work with her almost daily, etc.).

She does a monkey butt (sticks her butt out), isn't staying tall, doesn't drive hard and thus isn't opening up much. All 100% fixable.

May 4, 2023
Excellent. As a pitcher's dad, I know the feelings. And I hope neither you nor your DD are worried. It's such a long journey and most all of us have periods of little improvement. Y'all have years to get this right, and my honest opinion is that 5 lessons with Tincher will show huge results (if you do the drills, work with her almost daily, etc.).

She does a monkey butt (sticks her butt out), isn't staying tall, doesn't drive hard and thus isn't opening up much. All 100% fixable.

Thanks. These are three recent vids it’s not always like that. Maybe I’ll catch her tonight so her main instructor can get more technical on the mound with her as someone suggested.

Just thought she was turning a corner recently has pitched well in her last few games really cutting down the walks and getting swinging k’s with decent control.

But I see a lot of pitchers do “well” at this age especially in C ball but the mechanics don’t look great (to me) and I want to try to do what I can to correct that for her before she gets too comfortable doing it this way.

Nothing lights her up like pitching well and getting those k’s and I love seeing that but I know she needs work to keep improving as she hopefully levels up and faces better competition

Jun 8, 2016
Hey I thought my meme was funny...who ratted me out to @admin ? (that is a rhetorical question..I know who did..)
I am not sure I am going to make it around here once we start getting more and more of these late year millenial parents..

Nov 18, 2015
But I see a lot of pitchers do “well” at this age especially in C ball but the mechanics don’t look great (to me) and I want to try to do what I can to correct that for her before she gets too comfortable doing it this way.

Sounds like you’re looking at it the right way - recognizing what works NOW might not work at the next level.

Fortunately - good mechanics work at any level. Instill those, build on them, and enjoy the ride!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Where are you coming up with 20% only from the legs?
My DD threw 65MPish full pitching motion and 55MPHish in fully open with no leg drive. So, 10%-20%.

My point: New pitchers need to work on upper body mechanics first. After good arm motion, then work on lower body mechanics.

The OP was asking about "heel-toe position on landing" and his DD's upper body was awful. It's like asking a car mechanic to fix the wheel alignment when the engine is missing.

Oct 4, 2018
My DD threw 65MPish full pitching motion and 55MPHish in fully open with no leg drive. So, 10%-20%.

My point: New pitchers need to work on upper body mechanics first. After good arm motion, then work on lower body mechanics.

The OP was asking about "heel-toe position on landing" and his DD's upper body was awful. It's like asking a car mechanic to fix the wheel alignment when the engine is missing.

Yeah, we were probably a year or so in before we ever got to lower body with much focus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles