Motion Review (Video)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2023
Not sure if I got the right angle but here is my 11th old DD.

She’s been training for about 11 months 70 or so private lessons I thought she’d be further along by now in terms of consistency but not sure. Velocity is 38-40

To me it seems like she is landing on her heel and bending her knee when it should be more straight and landing on ball of foot then heel (on left leg stick)

Any feedback welcome :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_52bqTJsmC4l5D9ZBTsB6ZsdqabULCsO/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-YswscJ18icQIu6N8J8eJR6Dq8uE2uF0/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HKUBFUYrpm7fTGYF-o1HhaUDydx5XlmA/view?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
She’s been training for about 11 months 70 or so private lessons
Run, RUN, don't walk to a different instructor IMMEDIATELY.

There is a lot going on here. To start with, she needs to forget the lower half and work the arm motion in isolation until that is correct. Then issues with the lower half can be addressed.

She needs to get a feel for the arm circle while standing tall, feeling the brush assisted whip and learning the basics of the way the arm works during a pitch.

70 or so lessons over 11 months and she's still at square one in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Yes, Find a new instructor.
Look at the "I/R in the classroom" thread at the top of the pitching forum and Look up Java's "Lock it in" drill so you can better understand what the arm circle and standing tall should look like.

I would play a lot of catch while throwing the ball underhand. This is not pitching just playing catch.

Nov 18, 2015
On a positive note - I love her “shoulder shimmy” when receiving praise from the instructor.

But after 70(!) lessons in 11 months (~2/wk), she should be further along. My 8th grader is only now hovering around 50-52 game speed. But mechanically, she looks great. With my Dad-goggles on, it’s almost effortless speed.

The main piece of advice I offer is related to what @DNeeld pointed out - figure out the arm circle. *Have her learn to play catch underhand*. Go through the sticky threads and do the simple drills Java demonstrates. (Backwards chaining starting with the “lock-it-in” drill, if I’m remembering the name correctly).

Have her learn to throw underhand, before trying to pitch underhand.

Also know that you haven’t ruined your daughter, or jeopardized her chance at Varsity years down the road. To both of your credits, she’s clearly proven she’s dedicated and wanting to be in the circle, otherwise your post would be more like the “my daughter doesn’t want to pitch anymore” threads.

And when she feels that “whip” for the first time, you both may be adding a jump-for-joy to the shoulder-shimmy celebration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm with @DNeeld on the need for a two coach. One of two things is happening:

1) The coach has no clue about pitching whatsoever
2) The coach has not been able to connect with/reach your DD

In the first case, use the money you spent as a learning experience. You've learned what not to teach.

In the second, if the coach does know what's what and just hasn't been able to get through to your DD, that happens. Doesn't mean the coach sucks. Doesn't mean your DD can't learn to pitch. It's just not happening with them together (there are players I have just not been able to figure out how to coach as well as others; in most cases, I consider it my own failing).

In either scenario, she needs a new voice.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The pitching instructor is awful. I'm shocked. She is stealing your money. Not even "C-level" 16U or HS pitchers have upper body mechanics like your DD.

Judging from your question about your DD's feet, you must have been fed some nonsense about leg drive. Only about 20% of the energy comes from the legs. So, your DD is going nowhere until her upper body and arm motion are fixed.

This is Montana Fouts. Notice her posture. Good pitchers AT ALL LEVELS that have the same posture.

fouts.JPG

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The pitching instructor is awful. I'm shocked. She is stealing your money. Not even "C-level" 16U or HS pitchers have upper body mechanics like your DD.

Judging from your question about your DD's feet, you must have been fed some nonsense about leg drive. Only about 20% of the energy comes from the legs. So, your DD is going nowhere until her upper body and arm motion are fixed.

This is Montana Fouts. Notice her posture. Good pitchers AT ALL LEVELS that have the same posture.

View attachment 27998

Where are you coming up with 20% only from the legs?

Apr 12, 2015
I actually thought it was only about 10%
I'm in the same camp. My DD could achieve most of her velocity just playing catch underhand. The drive helped in other ways, such as getting closer to home, but I don't think it adds all that much velocity.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm in the same camp. My DD could achieve most of her velocity just playing catch underhand. The drive helped in other ways, such as getting closer to home, but I don't think it adds all that much velocity.

I'm sure there are little factors that could make it more (or less).

I could see a pitcher who struggles to really get going full speed with just the arm, so adding in the legs could help her be more explosive. That pitcher might get more than 10% out of adding her legs into the mix.

One of my pitchers throws just as fast (maybe 1-2 mph lower) from K as full pitch, but it's not because of her leg drive. She does a decent job there. She just slows her arm down during the full pitch and she can't figure out how to make herself go faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles