Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
On tees I’d move the ball down and away. Her posture is not setting correctly for the high tee. Needs to feel working down and through the ball. Shoulders are getting upside down prior to toe touch. Need to limit the rearward head movement during her load. Knee lift against the head, not through the head. Keep her head forward. Load forward. On pitching machine I think it’s important to work at knee due to the flatness of the ball. Hit some low line drives oppo! She’s got a good swing!

Dec 12, 2020
On tees I’d move the ball down and away. Her posture is not setting correctly for the high tee. Needs to feel working down and through the ball. Shoulders are getting upside down prior to toe touch. Need to limit the rearward head movement during her load. Knee lift against the head, not through the head. Keep her head forward. Load forward. On pitching machine I think it’s important to work at knee due to the flatness of the ball. Hit some low line drives oppo! She’s got a good swing!
Cornbread, thanks. Enjoy your insight on these boards and am grateful for your input. We've been working on her shoulders right side up at toe touch and without saying anything else of what you mentioned, it all has been "kinda" coming together as she has had to dip into much of it (I think) subconsciously to get to that point.

THEN we recently have begun to see live pitching. We've talked alot about approach and but now have to walk it.

The mental game is upon us...

I'll get some video up shortly.

Dec 12, 2020
Good evening everyone!

She got some practice in vs some live pitching. In short, she is scared. It's ironic, in basketball and soccer, though she is one of the smaller athletes, she is by far the most physical, seeking out contact with absolutely no regard for herself, bruises can be common.

The pitching was low 40s at best, and the K zone was large...the idea was to be swingers.

She K'd all three at bats, all looking at strike three, and her swings were cautious and apprehensive, a total change from the tee, soft toss, and machine, but this was expected. Swinging from belly button, stepping in the "bucket," posturing up and away while throwing the bat out, etc. A real disconnect from the point of her leg lift(kind of new) and the rest of her swing.

She was not happy. I was careful to only celebrate the at bats as she had some prepitch movement (dancing with the pitcher, the large sway was there though) and she was sure to have her stride in process as the pitch was released (though with the sway, it was still a stride leg reach).

Just want to document this, because she'll get through it, but if anyone has a magical fear elixir, I'll pay top dollar.

I'm guessing DD just needs lots and lots of live reps?

Appreciate any other feedback, thank you all!

Nov 18, 2015
I hope that wasn’t you calling the balls and strikes? Who uses “strike 3, you’re outta here” during a 10u scrimmage? I’ll admit I’m late to the thread - but if my coach was chirping away like that, calling pitches above my head a strike, I’d have a hesitant swing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
I would eliminate the leg kick. It’s inconsistent in size each pitch. Her front foot is down really late in relation to the pitch. I would go with a short stride and get the foot down earlier.

As far as the fear thing goes - my DD and many other girls I have coached have fought the boogeyman in the batters box like your DD. There is no magic pill for fear. I asked my DD about a tile that she overcame fear and how that made her feel. Then related that to hitting. Think about how proud of yourself you will be once you dig in and take your cuts without backing up.

@Gags - the “strike 3 your outta there” is just awful. I assume his daughter is the pitcher.

Jun 8, 2016
I would eliminate the leg kick. It’s inconsistent in size each pitch. Her front foot is down really late in relation to the pitch. I would go with a short stride and get the foot down earlier.
Not that this is going to make @Borrowingminds feel any better :LOL: but his kid reminds me of Marcela. She never leg kicked until she starting facing live pitching. First tournament of 10U it showed up on its own and for the most part it has stayed in one form or another ever since 🤷‍♂️ I could be wrong but I don't remember @Borrowingminds DD leg kicking in any previous videos. I do agree that it will take a bit more time for her to get the timing down with it.

Minus the timing aspect of it, @Borrowingminds DD actually does a better job with it then Marcela does right now...

e8LAJdU.gif

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
She looked pretty good. Really not a fair chance there. And I agree that a lower tee would be wise if she's gonna do a lot of tee work.

Also, My DD faced something kind of similar in practice. She had 2 foul balls and probly 7 or 8 balls on her. Then she chased one way outta the zone and she was "out". I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12