Stopping shoulder rotation in swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bonds and Cabrera bring the hands into the back shoulder. They create a rotational point at the back shoulder. Griffey walks away from the hands and creates a rotational point with the hands farther back then Bonds and Cabrera.

Griffey's hands are roughly over his rear foot at 'swing launch' ... not bad imo.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_pm9v5zuSrL1usf292o1_400.gif

Turn the barrel forward towards the ball.............
It's not turn THEN go....It's turn AND go.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Griffey's hands are roughly over his rear foot at 'swing launch' ... not bad imo.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Like all great hitters the hands are over the back foot. Although, as you can see Griffey isn't bringing the hands "into" the back shoulder. His hands end up farther back then Bonds and Cabrera. He isn't turning the barrel while bringing the hands into the back shoulder. He is walking away from the hands and maintaining the hinge angle. His swing is different then Bonds and Cabrera, perhaps a HR swing vs a high average TTB at the back shoulder swing.

Griffey's hands move back/up as he rotates into footplant. The hands are not being brought into the back shoulder like Bonds and Cabrera.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
tumblr_pm9v5zuSrL1usf292o1_400.gif

Turn the barrel forward towards the ball.............
It's not turn THEN go....It's turn AND go.

I know this has been mentioned, but thats allot of all back and all forward.

Is this an example of the negative move being a separate move from the FBC?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Like all great hitters the hands are over the back foot. Although, as you can see Griffey isn't bringing the hands "into" the back shoulder. His hands end up farther back then Bonds and Cabrera. He isn't turning the barrel while bringing the hands into the back shoulder. He is walking away from the hands and maintaining the hinge angle. His swing is different then Bonds and Cabrera, perhaps a HR swing vs a high average TTB at the back shoulder swing.

Griffey's hands move back/up as he rotates into footplant. The hands are not being brought into the back shoulder like Bonds and Cabrera.

Griffey, is "turning the barrel" (not my preferred phrase) as his torso engine pulls on his lead arm. Ditto for Bonds and Cabrera. That is what you should be keying off of IMO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Agreed. But the point I think Shawn is making is the negative move is flawed/offbalance so the positive is not found ‘naturally’. Correct me if I’m wrong Shawn.

I almost thought Shawn was suggesting that the negative move was part of FBC. I understand how the feel of FBC can flow that well, that one can think that way. It is more that a good negative move flows in to a good positive move. FBC can have that lower-body feeling of 'staying back'/'gathering'/'coiling' ... but there is a binding transition, that for many people is natural and need not be discussed ... ... ... and then we get the girl like we have here, who's negative move is hurting her more than helping her. The N in 'Negative move' stands for a Negative/rearward movement/pressure/posting ... it need not be pronounced. The F in FBC stands for 'forward' ... there is a resistive/binding/loading action that creates the transition between the 'negative move' and 'positive move' ... and for some that binding-like action needs to be learned. When some instructors speak of first loading the rear hip/glute, it is this binding-like action they are referring to.

Sep 17, 2009

Many hitters will pre-set their coil. Griffey here looks like he is at least somewhat pre-setting his stretch/scap action. He adds to it on his move-out, but it's stretch enhancement not stretch creation. His hands end up where they do at launch because of where they start at pre-set. That elbow is high and back, as is his handset. It's a different look but in line with stretch-and-fire goals, IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06