How/when does the rear elbow slot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2017
Yep.

Do her hits go to the right side often?
She used to; however, last season she was way early on everything, making contact past her front foot. She was hitting in games so I did not address during the season.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
dfp-2023-0104-1.gif

From toe touch to hip slot (gif above)
1. Do not move the hands away from the shoulder/armpit
2. The rear upper arm should be vertical thru to hip slot

She is throwing her hands at the ball too early. Only throw the hands away from the torso, and toward the ball, AFTER hip slot.

Also, maybe the tee is too far from her body also, so she thinks she has to reach. Get a hitting stick and show her you can hit the ball any place in the zone without changing your swing at all (no reaching, no squatting, etc)

Oct 19, 2017
View attachment 27158

From toe touch to hip slot (gif above)
1. Do not move the hands away from the shoulder/armpit
2. The rear upper arm should be vertical thru to hip slot

She is throwing her hands at the ball too early. Only throw the hands away from the torso, and toward the ball, AFTER hip slot.

Also, maybe the tee is too far from her body also, so she thinks she has to reach. Get a hitting stick and show her you can hit the ball any place in the zone without changing your swing at all (no reaching, no squatting, etc)

Thanks @efastball. We will work on this today.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am an advocate for doing tee work into a distanced fence vs aimlessly hitting into a bownet 5 ft in front of hitter. So much can be learned/taken in/ feedback given seeing the trajectory of the ball.Set hitting tasks. Hit line drives to various targets/locations on the backstop. I like using an area that allows 90 degrees of spray range. Line to line. Learning how to drive the ball to all fields with different pitch/tee locations.
You might be surprised how her body and mind will work together to figure out the proper mechanics required to hit line drives to targets.
Hint: No cheating on hitting targets. She must set up to the same imaginary pitcher that remains on same rubber. When she figures out how to hit a line drive over the first baseman head, she will be way ahead of most girls her age.

Oct 19, 2017
I am an advocate for doing tee work into a distanced fence vs aimlessly hitting into a bownet 5 ft in front of hitter. So much can be learned/taken in/ feedback given seeing the trajectory of the ball.Set hitting tasks. Hit line drives to various targets/locations on the backstop. I like using an area that allows 90 degrees of spray range. Line to line. Learning how to drive the ball to all fields with different pitch/tee locations.
You might be surprised how her body and mind will work together to figure out the proper mechanics required to hit line drives to targets.
Hint: No cheating on hitting targets. She must set up to the same imaginary pitcher that remains on same rubber. When she figures out how to hit a line drive over the first baseman head, she will be way ahead of most girls her age.

Thanks for the tip. Although I have the net marked off, we are not using it in the way it’s being suggested. We will add this to our routine.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So, Wright has no slop. He was wound tightly. Houston’s Bregman is wound up tightly. I’m sure he might be the same, not much abduction of the upper arm/elbow. I believe because their so engaged, the pull back delays the elbow from slotting as much.

So, That means your kid is just starting to use the arm/hand to cast forward. She is not wound up, ready to release with lightning speed, so is driving the hands forward ahead of the lower in the tee swing efast posted.

I’ve seen what your saying. Video would be nice, one that comes to mind is David Wright. He has a tight sequence.

giphy.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2