Group question, help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Has anyone ever had a student release the ball so far away from their body? Backstory: this is a brand new student with me, Sunday was the 2nd time I saw her. I've never seen anything like it. Before anyone asks, she does not have anything out of the ordinary at the top of the arm circle, a lot of times when the ball is away from the body at the bottom then it was off line at the top too. While I wouldn't say her arm circle is 100% straight at the top, it's not as out of whack as this is.

When we would break it down, almost to the point of doing "wrist flips" she could get her arm close to her body. But anything from a "K" Drill into a full circle, her arm leaves the line of her body like you see in this pic. I tried to upload a video but, I couldn't get it from my phone onto here in a video format.

She tells me this issue started this past summer. Something happened in one game, during one single inning where the ground conditions forced her to pitch somewhat awkwardly. And now, regardless of how slowly she does an arm circle, the arm leaves the line of the body and extends outward. It's almost like she's got 2 magnets that repel each other. I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

IMG_3893.PNG

May 17, 2023
When I was coaching had a girl that happened to one day warming up for first game. Couldn't get out of first inning and no matter how much tried to fix over next few weeks wouldn't get better. Decided to stop for season.

Next season after break was fine for about two tourneys and then it came back. Never pitched again was the strangest thing I had ever seen.

Know that doesn't help but she isn't alone.

Aug 21, 2008
When I was coaching had a girl that happened to one day warming up for first game. Couldn't get out of first inning and no matter how much tried to fix over next few weeks wouldn't get better. Decided to stop for season.
Next season after break was fine for about two tourneys and then it came back. Never pitched again was the strangest thing I had ever seen.

Know that doesn't help but she isn't alone.
Thanks. I had another girl with a similar problem a few years ago, she quit pitching before we could even begin to start working on the issue.

I've had girls who's arm was away from the body but, I've never seen anything like this. And it's absolutely incredible to watch the arm progressively get further away with the more of the wind up we do. As I mentioned, I had her break it down to the point of doing wrist flips basically, her arm was tight to the body. We'd slowly start with the arm going up higher, working towards doing what you guys call the "K" drill. But, once her arm would go as high as level with her shoulder, she could not bring it down close to the body. The forearm, hand and ball automatically go away from her body like trying to push 2 magnets together. It's the weirdest thing. I was hoping someone here would know a fix.

Jun 19, 2020
From the picture it looks like she is off balance no front side resistance and the back leg sweeping away from the centerline. I saw this with DD when she was younger with a weak core. The arm never casted out that far for DD but similar. In our case her body was trying to maintain balance. Best analogy we used to make her understand was bowling. I would love to see the live video.

Jan 20, 2023
I wonder about injury too- or she hurt herself and doesn’t want to do it again- has she tried pitching with neoprene sleeve on her elbow? Long shot - but might help just to know her elbow is protected. Or just to shift her focus.

Jun 18, 2023
You sure she isn't hiding some sort of injury? Is she able to make the necessary motion if she isn't trying to pitch?

This was my thought too. well not "hiding" so much as just injured and doesn't what's wrong. Especially since she can pinpoint it to one moment/day. And that she can't even do it slowly feels like a red flag. Means it's probably not a mental thing you can just drill out of her. Something's gotta be up with her shoulder.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Throwing a dart here..... have you tried getting her into a K position and going through arm circles with a weighted ball or t-ball bat/weighted bat? Something to re-instill a feel for her to chase?

Zero idea if that will help or not. But I've never seen a live speed release so far out when wrist snaps and other progressive drills don't show the issue.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
She have super weight-lifter lats?

I do remember when my DD was just learning basic pitching mechanics they put a band around her back leg that had a little flap about three inches long. The flap came off the upper thigh and you had to hit that flap with your forearm as you pitched.

I wonder if buying/making one of those for her would help. Seems she just needs to relearn with lots of concentrated reps.

Oct 4, 2018
She have super weight-lifter lats?

I do remember when my DD was just learning basic pitching mechanics they put a band around her back leg that had a little flap about three inches long. The flap came off the upper thigh and you had to hit that flap with your forearm as you pitched.

I wonder if buying/making one of those for her would help. Seems she just needs to relearn with lots of concentrated reps.

Here it is, basically: Amazon product ASIN B0006VX26C
1694626499888.png

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When my dd first started pitching, she did something similar. We went to an old guy who was really well-known in our area. He focused on her hips. I don't know if that will help or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles