Stopping shoulder rotation in swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
It is perfectly fine for the lead arm to extend during a hitter's stride. Some of us consider that to be a good thing. That is not occurring for this girl. Speaking negatively of the lead-arm extending won't help this girl IMO.
I was only responding to your questioning of jcuevas mentioning Griffey arm barring..the discussion had nothing to do with the young girl's swing which was why I should have punted on this particular topic when I said I was going to.

To me the young girl just seems to be happy with making contact instead of having the mentality of crushing the ball. I know that isn't a technical but sometimes a hitter's intent needs to be readjusted...
That said, some people are just not explosive/quick twitch...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
First yes this is a full speed video.

Secondly, I understand what FF5 is describing by whipping action. I've seen it as well in young kids swinging a bat.

As far as air is like molasses. What kind of whipping bat speed do you expect out of 8yo's . LOL- I don't know about you, but most look like they are swing through molasses. You cant look at it through a lens of MLB players swing a bat.

Clem, for an 8yo this girl is doing fairly well.

If this girl was in front of me I would have her swing without instruction and confirm if her mechanics are indicative of what you posted. That would be her warm-up.

If her mechanics were indeed what you showed, then I would first give her some objectives and see how her body responded to achieve those objectives. One of those objectives would be the establishment of leveraged hands ... what some here may consider "turning the barrel". If her body adapted favorably then we would take it from there.

If she didn't respond as expected then we would begin building the swing from the start. This young lady begins her sequence with a linear sway back to the catcher, followed by a linear movement back towards the pitcher. We would modify that to be something similar to Donny's "Rock the U" and eliminate the sway in the process. That would put her in a more leveraged position to use her torso engine. From there we would develop the torso engine ... and when ready we would bring in the concept of leveraged hands ... the usage of the hands/forearms that takes place as the torso engine begins pulling on the lead-arm. There would be more ... and based on how she adapted we would either move further ahead on hitting concepts or retract a bit.

Bottom-line ... for her age she's doing a lot correct ... but there is more to be accomplished ... and I'm certain you know that.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was only responding to your questioning of jcuevas mentioning Griffey arm barring..the discussion had nothing to do with the young girl's swing which was why I should have punted on this particular topic when I said I was going to.

To me the young girl just seems to be happy with making contact instead of having the mentality of crushing the ball. I know that isn't a technical but sometimes a hitter's intent needs to be readjusted...
That said, some people are just not explosive/quick twitch...

She isn't leveraged enough to 'explode' ... and your harping on lead-arm extension during the stride, of which this lady has zero of, isn't helping IMO.

Jun 8, 2016
She isn't leveraged enough to 'explode' ... and your harping on lead-arm extension during the stride, of which this lady has zero of, isn't helping IMO.

This is DD last fall when she was 8. My DD's positioning at launch looks like garbage yet she does have some whip. Overall I like the OP's kid's swing better. Is my DD's "leverage" better than OP's kid?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Clem, for an 8yo this girl is doing fairly well.

If this girl was in front of me I would have her swing without instruction and confirm if her mechanics are indicative of what you posted. That would be her warm-up.

If her mechanics were indeed what you showed, then I would first give her some objectives and see how her body responded to achieve those objectives. One of those objectives would be the establishment of leveraged hands ... what some here may consider "turning the barrel". If her body adapted favorably then we would take it from there.

If she didn't respond as expected then we would begin building the swing from the start. This young lady begins her sequence with a linear sway back to the catcher, followed by a linear movement back towards the pitcher. We would modify that to be something similar to Donny's "Rock the U" and eliminate the sway in the process. That would put her in a more leveraged position to use her torso engine. From there we would develop the torso engine ... and when ready we would bring in the concept of leveraged hands ... the usage of the hands/forearms that takes place as the torso engine begins pulling on the lead-arm. There would be more ... and based on how she adapted we would either move further ahead on hitting concepts or retract a bit.

Bottom-line ... for her age she's doing a lot correct ... but there is more to be accomplished ... and I'm certain you know that.

Donny's "Rock the U" - What is that exactly.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Donny's "Rock the U" - What is that exactly.

Some recent posts copied below.

Donny's "Rock the U" is simply a setup for the launching of the swing. It is a mechanic to arrive at a favorable 'hitting orientation'. Many young developing hitters have a tendency to either rely on a linear arm push and/or momentum. Arriving at a favorable hitting orientation gives them the opportunity to tap into their torso-engine and learn that angular acceleration forces are significantly greater than straight line forces.

Donny described a "U Method" to help young developing hitters learn the upper body positioning.

The U is a line drawn from the point of the lead shoulder, down the lead arm , across the forearm, and back up the barrel.

One option for group teaching LL players is to form the U and then rock the shoulder unit back ( rock the U) until the tip of the lead elbow is behind the belly button

This is a position the kids can see easily and remember and is a reliable preloaded upper body.

Teaching them to cock the hands , maintain the U and rock the U to a point behind the belly button is important.

U1.png

U2.png

You can get a young hitter into a leveraged position with Donny's Rocking of the U during the 'move out'.

Yet another Donny comment ...

The relative elbow positioning. The lead elbow will come down nearer the body as the rear elbow moves up and in

Another Donny comment ....

Hitters that fail to get OR keep the hands cocked and the lead elbow behind the belly button to foot plant cannot hit very well.

As Donny would say ... "Lead elbow down and thumb up".

It is as Donny stated ... "The lead arm( bottom hand) is the connection to the rotating core. The lead arm must connect to the rotation."

Donny Buster:

The bottom hand is thought to be the dominant hand in the connected rotary move.

Donny Buster:

The Bottom Hand

o The bottom hand should start almost vertical with the thumb side almost up.

o When the lead elbow goes up seeking the plane of the pitch the bottom hand palm goes palm down.

o This propels the barrel backwards into the back side of the swing arc rapidly.

o A small hand turn yields a big barrel move.

o Mentally extend that thumb up 33 inches and imagine how far the barrel accelerated as the hand turn to flat.

Donny Buster's (Swingbuster's) Total Presentation .....

Donny Buster's "Total Presentation"

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Without further ado. This is a older video, but serves the purpose of showing her doing it.

Mankin would say the front shoulder finishes rotation to early and the swing is disconnected. Meaning the hands/barrel have to far to travel in the swing still when the shoulders stop rotating.

Please excuse the debate.

Take note of Bonds directly above. His shoulders are turning throughout his swing, with/when he swings. They don't finish with the barrel still in the lag position.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06