NFHS Rule 7-3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Said the same, so I'm not disagreeing, but I'll let you fight them on that one. :)

NCAA does place that exception under a rule actually called Force Play Slide Rule, so that's why I haven't hung my hat on that. My sticking point was that NFHS does NOT have a rule actually named that (even though the used the term in POE a few years back). NFHS's rules on sliding don't include that exception because they explicitly state a runner NEVER has to slide. Instead, NFHS still says a runner should be called out if they interfere with the play. The problem is that guys want to call a FPSR when a runner doesn't slide. It isn't exactly a tomayto-tomahto because there is a slight difference in the penalty for a "FPSR" and "routine" interference.

The larger soapbox issue that I have here is umpiring from case plays and interpretations instead of the actual rule. It happens in softball, but it is far worse in baseball.

Sorry for going down a baseball rabbit-hole here, but I think it provides some insight into umpiring in general.
Agree on all points. With that being said, casebook plays and interpretations are much easier to change than rules language and are SUPPOSED to inform umpires, players and coaches (although how many other than umpires actually read them) what the intent of the rule is (or how it has changed over time)

EDIT: Just as an aside, SO MANY have this misunderstanding: the F in FPSR is not to indicate that the runner is FORCED to slide (cannot say how many times I have been told that chestnut) It is the rule about sliding during a force play.

May 29, 2015
Agree on all points. With that being said, casebook plays and interpretations are much easier to change than rules language and are SUPPOSED to inform umpires, players and coaches (although how many other than umpires actually read them) what the intent of the rule is (or how it has changed over time)

EDIT: Just as an aside, SO MANY have this misunderstanding: the F in FPSR is not to indicate that the runner is FORCED to slide (cannot say how many times I have been told that chestnut) It is the rule about sliding during a force play.

... and therein lies the problem. Even the NFHS rules committee members will tell you that there are times when they substitute a case play for a rules change to either make it happen faster OR because they feel it is a minor tweek. In my opinion, that is just wrong. An umpire, especially one just starting, should be able to read the rule book and call the game.

The case book and interpretations should be explanations and clarifications, not a way to circumvent your own system.

OK, going to try to get off this soapbox now ...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478