Group question, help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
ME ME ME...

Been battling for a year now.

Started when she was taught a "Curveball". Then Travel coach called 90% curves
It was working.We were facing some of the best teams in the area and older teams

Her ball was coming out like a Slurve - slow, dropping outside and hard to hit
So..He kept calling it. Also at 14 yearsold,all she heard about was SPEED so IMO she started overthrowing and pushing

NOW??? Well she had some shoulder issues (of course) and then got hit in the hand batting and didn't pitch for 3 mos
looking at this as a blessing to step back and go back to fundamentals

Been concentrating on Excelorator circles - took out the backswing /Simplify everything

Still not gone - working like crazy but, it's a battle!!!!

She wasn't whipping and again,stepping back to getting her max whip hopefully helps

But, open to more ideas this is brutal!!
I don't think the Xelerator is going to help with relearning IR/whip. I would go back to sling shot, it's a good way to isolate the whipping action. Then small ball circle to keep the arm flexed and the elbow leading.

Nov 17, 2017
I don't think the Xelerator is going to help with relearning IR/whip. I would go back to sling shot, it's a good way to isolate the whipping action. Then small ball circle to keep the arm flexed and the elbow leading.

It's not all about Whip - the Circle needed help too... We're Isolating the whip AND improving the circle.

Thanks!!!!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's not all about Whip - the Circle needed help too... We're Isolating the whip AND improving the circle.
Two minutes of this video tells me all I need to know. I don't see any whip (IR) here.

Nov 17, 2017
Two minutes of this video tells me all I need to know. I don't see any whip (IR) here.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Jan 30, 2021
Has anyone ever had a student release the ball so far away from their body? Backstory: this is a brand new student with me, Sunday was the 2nd time I saw her. I've never seen anything like it. Before anyone asks, she does not have anything out of the ordinary at the top of the arm circle, a lot of times when the ball is away from the body at the bottom then it was off line at the top too. While I wouldn't say her arm circle is 100% straight at the top, it's not as out of whack as this is.

When we would break it down, almost to the point of doing "wrist flips" she could get her arm close to her body. But anything from a "K" Drill into a full circle, her arm leaves the line of her body like you see in this pic. I tried to upload a video but, I couldn't get it from my phone onto here in a video format.

She tells me this issue started this past summer. Something happened in one game, during one single inning where the ground conditions forced her to pitch somewhat awkwardly. And now, regardless of how slowly she does an arm circle, the arm leaves the line of the body and extends outward. It's almost like she's got 2 magnets that repel each other. I'm open to ideas and suggestions
When I was coaching had a girl that happened to one day warming up for first game. Couldn't get out of first inning and no matter how much tried to fix over next few weeks wouldn't get better. Decided to stop for season.

Thanks. I had another girl with a similar problem a few years ago, she quit pitching before we could even begin to start working on the issue.

I've had girls who's arm was away from the body but, I've never seen anything like this. And it's absolutely incredible to watch the arm progressively get further away with the more of the wind up we do. As I mentioned, I had her break it down to the point of doing wrist flips basically, her arm was tight to the body. We'd slowly start with the arm going up higher, working towards doing what you guys call the "K" drill. But, once her arm would go as high as level with her shoulder, she could not bring it down close to the body. The forearm, hand and ball automatically go away from her body like trying to push 2 magnets together. It's the weirdest thing. I was hoping someone here would know a fix.
Hello Bill,

This is going to sound crazy, but two things come to mind: 1. Ankle and Foot Integrity, and 2. Her Shoes.

The Nike Trout Turfs that she is wearing are almost as bad as Ringers insofar as:

ONE:

The forefoot of the shoe pushes the big toe (MTP Joint) into hallux valgus (back into the other toes on that foot). This may cause ankle eversion eliminating the arch of the foot and Achilles from being used correctly, and causing her center of mass to relocate to the middle inside part of the foot.

TWO:

The heel on the shoe is extremely high, so if she is already having issues due to a growth spurt, prior injury, difference in length of limbs, she will not push through the drive foot, but will bypass it, exacerbating the first issue.

In essence, she will subconsciously rely upon the momentum of falling forward past her center of gravity while in full extension in the hips. In addition, her drive leg will be in internal rotation as well as the hip on that same leg. This could cause the left side to external rotate and her left hip to elevate subconsciously (her bodies way of coping with the shearing forces on her left knee) causing her to turn left to right “around” her center of mass, as opposed to driving up/out.

THREE:

The footplate is incredibly inflexible, so even if she could get to that MTP Joint, she couldn’t push into plantar flexion.

If my hunch is correct, this will create a domino effect. She will stay posteriorly and laterally open at the torso disengaging her shoulder levitators.

Her body may be employing a strategy too abduct the arm to compensate for the rotational force being created on her left side (like a top spinning off balance).

Looking at her landing foot, it is probable that given its position and the hyper eversion of the foot at landing, it may just be a simple matter of retraining her foot and ankle imbalances and finding a shoe that is a little less robust. ASICS makes a hell of cleat for this, but you can only order them from Japan.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Sounds like you have a great knowledge of the foot's anatomy. What over the counter cleats are the best for the athlete? Also, what are your thoughts on inserts? What about those insert that are suppose to make the athlete jump higher and run faster?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles