NFHS Rule 7-3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2023
Our board was discussing rule 7-3 where it discusses what happens when the batter steps out of the batters box OR holds up their hand to ask for time. Obviously, if the pitcher also commits an infraction, a no-pitch is declared. If a legal pitch is delivered, a strike shall be called in both cases (stepping out or holding up a hand).
In the case book, the example is given that if the player steps back into the box and his the ball, it shall be ruled a dead ball strike.

However, it's not clear on what happens if the batter raises her hand to ask for time and then regrips the bat and gets a hit. Our interpreter felt this would also be a dead ball strike. But that would mean if a player ever asks for time by holding up her hand and it is not granted, the only possible outcome with a legally delivered pitch will be a strike regardless of anything that happens next. This really doesn't sound right. Logically, if the player realizes time is not granted, they should be able to swing.
I would think there would be a difference between holding a hand up to the pitcher throughout the entire pitch versus holding up a hand to the back side toward the umpire.
How does everyone else interpret this rule. Does holding up the hand at all (forward or backward) trigger a strike no matter what or does that only apply if they do it throughout the pitch?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
If time isn't granted, it's live in my world. More power to em if they smash a hit when trying to call time. I wouldn't call any auto strike, if trying to call time that's not granted.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Our board was discussing rule 7-3 where it discusses what happens when the batter steps out of the batters box OR holds up their hand to ask for time. Obviously, if the pitcher also commits an infraction, a no-pitch is declared. If a legal pitch is delivered, a strike shall be called in both cases (stepping out or holding up a hand).
In the case book, the example is given that if the player steps back into the box and his the ball, it shall be ruled a dead ball strike.

However, it's not clear on what happens if the batter raises her hand to ask for time and then regrips the bat and gets a hit. Our interpreter felt this would also be a dead ball strike. But that would mean if a player ever asks for time by holding up her hand and it is not granted, the only possible outcome with a legally delivered pitch will be a strike regardless of anything that happens next. This really doesn't sound right. Logically, if the player realizes time is not granted, they should be able to swing.
I would think there would be a difference between holding a hand up to the pitcher throughout the entire pitch versus holding up a hand to the back side toward the umpire.
How does everyone else interpret this rule. Does holding up the hand at all (forward or backward) trigger a strike no matter what or does that only apply if they do it throughout the pitch?
I read the rule and case and came to the same conclusion the way it's written. Seems to screw the batter to hold a hand up. Must have to teach the players to only verbally call for time.

May 29, 2015
It occurs to me I do not have a case play book handy. That may be because I hate case play books. The grumpire in me sees them as attempts to administer rules improperly because they don't want to mess with the rules committee process.

Could somebody post the case play?

I would say I see NOTHING in the rules that would support that case play interpretation. In fact, the rules do not say it is automatically a strike do specifically say the ball stays live. It is the umpire's judgment whether to administer the penalty. No reason the batter couldn't get back in and hit it.

I can see how there is some sloppy interpretation, but the rule is not written to call a strike for requesting time. The rule is written to confirm that simply holding a hand up or stepping out does not automatically trigger "time." The penalty should be administered if the batter is not prepared for the pitch (and thus delaying the game).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I can see how there is some sloppy interpretation, but the rule is not written to call a strike for requesting time. The rule is written to confirm that simply holding a hand up or stepping out does not automatically trigger "time." The penalty should be administered if the batter is not prepared for the pitch (and thus delaying the game).

I think the rule, specifically the last line of 7-3-1 Effect 2, is also written to call for the automatic strike in a situation where the batter requests time and steps out of the box, does not have time granted, and the pitcher pitches the ball legally. In this case, the umpire should call a strike regardless of where the ball goes.

I'm almost positive that's what the line is in there. It makes no sense that she should not get a chance to swing just because she asked for time and it wasn't granted.

Feb 5, 2023
Here is the case book scenario:

7.3.1 SITUATION B

As F1 starts a pitch, B1 requests time by either stepping out of the box or by putting a hand up. The pitcher (a) hesitates or stops the pitch, (b) legally delivers the pitch, or (c) legally delivers the pitch and B1 steps back in the batter's box and hits the ball.

In (a), the umpire shall declare a "no pitch." In (b), the umpire shall call a strike and the ball remains live. In (c), the umpire calls “time” and a dead-ball strike on the batter. (2-56-1; 5-1-1j; 7-2-1h; 7-3-1 Effect 2)
2023 NFHS Softball Case Book - NFHS © 2023

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Here is the case book scenario:

7.3.1 SITUATION B

As F1 starts a pitch, B1 requests time by either stepping out of the box or by putting a hand up. The pitcher (a) hesitates or stops the pitch, (b) legally delivers the pitch, or (c) legally delivers the pitch and B1 steps back in the batter's box and hits the ball.

In (a), the umpire shall declare a "no pitch." In (b), the umpire shall call a strike and the ball remains live. In (c), the umpire calls “time” and a dead-ball strike on the batter. (2-56-1; 5-1-1j; 7-2-1h; 7-3-1 Effect 2)
2023 NFHS Softball Case Book - NFHS © 2023
That scenario from the case book leaves room for interpretation.

It says "...by either stepping out of the box or by putting a hand up", but then (c) talks specifically about stepping back into the box. What about the scenario where the batter puts a hand up but never steps out of the box (as implied by the "or") and then stays in and hits the ball? I assume live ball?

Feb 5, 2023
That scenario from the case book leaves room for interpretation.

It says "...by either stepping out of the box or by putting a hand up", but then (c) talks specifically about stepping back into the box. What about the scenario where the batter puts a hand up but never steps out of the box (as implied by the "or") and then stays in and hits the ball? I assume live ball?
That's my question. Is there a penalty for holding up the hand but then regripping the bat and putting the ball in play? Rule book and case book leave it ambiguous.

May 29, 2015
Ahhh ... interesting. Now I see what they are basing it on. Not sure I agree.

5-1-1j
Rule 5 Dead Ball and Suspension of Play
Section 1 Dead Ball
Article 1 ... Ball becomes immediately dead when:

j. any personnel connected with the offensive team requests "Time" or uses any other command or commits an act for the purpose of trying to cause the opposing pitcher to commit an illegal pitch.

7-2-1h also declares the ball to be dead if ...
Rule 7 Batting
Section 2 Strikes, Balls, and Hits
Article 1 ... A strike is charged to the batter when:

h. a pitched ball, in the umpire's judgment, is prevented from entering the strike zone by the actions of the batter (dead-ball strike).

I find this problematic since 7-3-1 Effect 2 specifically says the ball stays live when the batter steps out or holds up the hand and the pitcher delivers the pitch legally.

I can understand some of the concern of a batter giving the appearance they are not going to hit and then hitting and the defense relaxing (think pull-back-bunt-and-swing). Based on the rules cited, stepping out or putting the hand up doesn't matter, it is the same effect either way. I can't say I agree with the concept.

5-1-1j requires you to believe the intent was to cause an illegal pitch. 7-2-1h is not, IMO, written to include swinging at a ball. If it is, then any swing that prevents a ball from entering the zone should be a dead ball strike.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13