Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Some of you may be familiar with gymnastics. Those of you who aren't and know a lot about physical ability and training know that gymnastics takes ALOT of core training and it is safe (and arguably) to say that gymnists have and need the most strongest core muscles, balance, and coordination in all of sports to perform the way they do. So would a softball player incorporating gymnastics into her softball training give her an edge as it strengthens core, balance, and coordination which are components that softball players need? As for me I am going to try it out. Not just to reap the benefits from gaining core strength, balance, and coordination but because I have wanted to try gymnastics since I was little. :) And that little girl is still in me... and so is the softball player who is willing to do anything and make any sacrifices to become better at her sport. :)
-What do you guys think?

Oct 25, 2009
Some of you may be familiar with gymnastics. Those of you who aren't and know a lot about physical ability and training know that gymnastics takes ALOT of core training and it is safe (and arguably) to say that gymnists have and need the most strongest core muscles, balance, and coordination in all of sports to perform the way they do. So would a softball player incorporating gymnastics into her softball training give her an edge as it strengthens core, balance, and coordination which are components that softball players need? As for me I am going to try it out. Not just to reap the benefits from gaining core strength, balance, and coordination but because I have wanted to try gymnastics since I was little. :) And that little girl is still in me... and so is the softball player who is willing to do anything and make any sacrifices to become better at her sport. :)
-What do you guys think?

As a coach I'm always looking for something that will give us an edge. For the past couple of years we have been more into strength, core, balance conditioning.

I would think gymnastics conditioning would be a great benefit. What information do you have for conditioning that would target both sports? Gymnastics involves tumbling also--right? We haven't tried tumbling but it was suggested somewhere that it would benefit softball/baseball players. Have you heard that?

One thing that I have researched about is that being able to lift and balance your body weight is way more benefical than weightlifting. I read a story that bodybuilders in the 90's used to do things like handstands and other various forms to increase their strength and their strength is not matcheed today because body builders rely solely on lifting weights rather than using their own body weight to make themselves stronger. As for as what gymnasts do that would help with core, balance, and strength would be anything gymnasts do:
Uneven bars, Flips, Rings (big plus! I read), and basically everything they use in competition strengthens their body to become better at it.
Tumbling is a good balance and core strength and footwork in one. I believe that virtually anything gymnists do would help us softball players strengthen our core muscles and benefit our balance. And the thing about gymnastics and core work in general is that the results are almost instant!

Sep 17, 2009
forthelove, you sound like a great kid and a hard worker. I hate to be discouraging in any way, but I know a family that has two girls that are elite gymnasts and also play softball.

They are ALWAYS hurt and missing stretches of softball. Gymnastics can be very, very tough on the body.

That said, it looks like you're mainly interested in some smart cross training, not making a push for Olympic Gold in the floor exercise, so it can probably do you more good than harm, but be careful : >

Apr 1, 2010
I've always heard that gymnasts are the best athletes at picking up a new sport. --Probably because all that core conditioning, strength and balance is useful in any physical activity.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
We had a girl join our rec league at about 10 or 11 years old. She moved here and left a world of competitive gymnastics. She was one of the best in the state for her age group. She picked up softball very quickly and can go some nice little tricks when goofing around after games.

Jun 3, 2010
Our two best players both took gymnastics for 3 or 4 years. Pound for pound they are the strongest girls on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom