Strength training changes during season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016

Jan 25, 2022
To answer questions...

The pitching was 90 minutes after her leg day session. It was a voluntary HS team BP workout but the pitchers throw 30-40 times each. My point was that she had gone hard at the gym and already had jelly legs and was worn out overall, and it had an effect on her throws.

She hasn't taken any official time off, but we're talking about a kid who maybe averaged 150-200 pitches a week up until a couple weeks ago. No travel ball. Twice a week on the field or hitting indoors since July. Weightlifting upper/lower once a week each since late september/early October. We've (just she and I) pitched when we can work it in

Official team practices start Feb 15th. Thats every weekday. She really enjoys lifting and when I presented the conflict she said she would work it in. Knowing her as I do, that's ambitious. But if her catcher keeps going, I think she may stick with it. It's just gonna be a challenge to keep these things going when I 100% for sure need to get her going on the endurance part of this, because shes 14 and doesn't plan on playing past high school. She enjoys practice but if she's going 10 hours a week with team sessions, I can only get so much more out of her otherwise.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
To answer questions...

The pitching was 90 minutes after her leg day session. It was a voluntary HS team BP workout but the pitchers throw 30-40 times each. My point was that she had gone hard at the gym and already had jelly legs and was worn out overall, and it had an effect on her throws.

She hasn't taken any official time off, but we're talking about a kid who maybe averaged 150-200 pitches a week up until a couple weeks ago. No travel ball. Twice a week on the field or hitting indoors since July. Weightlifting upper/lower once a week each since late september/early October. We've (just she and I) pitched when we can work it in

Official team practices start Feb 15th. Thats every weekday. She really enjoys lifting and when I presented the conflict she said she would work it in. Knowing her as I do, that's ambitious. But if her catcher keeps going, I think she may stick with it. It's just gonna be a challenge to keep these things going when I 100% for sure need to get her going on the endurance part of this, because shes 14 and doesn't plan on playing past high school. She enjoys practice but if she's going 10 hours a week with team sessions, I can only get so much more out of her otherwise.
It’s definitely a lot. I wish more HS coaches built in more time in season for weight training. The little bit of practice time missed would be well worth it. I used to push as many high school players into weight training class. That was the best. Lift or train during school and they never had to worry about it afterward. Plus the class never gave homework!

Jan 25, 2022
It’s definitely a lot. I wish more HS coaches built in more time in season for weight training. The little bit of practice time missed would be well worth it. I used to push as many high school players into weight training class. That was the best. Lift or train during school and they never had to worry about it afterward. Plus the class never gave homework!

Eveeyone knows strength training is a big deal, but seeing the difference it's made in my kid's hitting (and confidence) has been eye opening. I definitely would dedicate at least one full practice to it, and find a way to work it into other practices in smaller sessions.

I honestly don't know how it would go over with this particular group of girls. This program is still kinda getting going, so its not a team full of kids who see softball as their primary sport, or even see it as more than just something they do a couple months a year. I do think the crew coming up in the next few years would be into it.

Oct 26, 2019
Eveeyone knows strength training is a big deal, but seeing the difference it's made in my kid's hitting (and confidence) has been eye opening. I definitely would dedicate at least one full practice to it, and find a way to work it into other practices in smaller sessions.

I honestly don't know how it would go over with this particular group of girls. This program is still kinda getting going, so its not a team full of kids who see softball as their primary sport, or even see it as more than just something they do a couple months a year. I do think the crew coming up in the next few years would be into it.
When I coached HS baseball I would see which of my players had gym memberships or a place to workout and try to cut practice short at times with the agreement that they would go lift. We played on Tuesday Thursday usually so Friday was a great lift day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802