Weight Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
If I don't know about something I am the first person to admit it. Unfortunately not everybody is like that. Has nothing to do with HS coaches or otherwise, just a general statement. I have been lifting weights for 30+ years but when it came time to get a workout for my kid for athletic performance I didn’t assume that my experience meant anything other than knowing how some of the lifts should be performed. Programming for an athlete is not something I knew anything about and hence I did some research.

I saw the HS team doing their summer lifting workouts outside of the HS field when I brought DD to take ground balls at the adjacent MS field..back breaking DL form galore. My kid isn't going to be doing that stuff..she will go to the skill work stuff they have after the summer lifting. It's one thing if the HC is teaching the wrong stuff with regards to skills, it's a different story with regards to lifting weights. If they tell her she cannot play for the team (they stink every year btw, she would be the best player on them right now as an 8th grader) because of it oh well. More fielding and hitting work with me..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Look up OnlyStrength..I like how he structures things. You are training to be an athlete…a healthy one which means movement/mobility work should be included. Marcela has been using the Youth program for a few months under my guidance.
I'm a big fan of movement/mobility work. I also like speed/agility training. Weight training is fine as long as it is monitored closely. When DD was a freshman in high school, the assistant softball coach was also an assistant football coach and he thought it would be a good idea to have the softball players do football exercises/drills. DD ended up with a shoulder injury (throwing arm) that the surgeon claims was a direct result of those football drills.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Great post! Also - don’t necessarily trust the college strength trainer, either, if they work with all of the other sports teams and the workouts for all teams are the same. Big red flag!
Your dd won't have a choice here. My dd showed up knowing how to do the lifts etc. so the strength coaches set up an aggressive program for her. For the other players, many didn't know how to do the various lifts and the coach wasn't a happy camper. They produced a video for recruits to see about how important it was for players to show up knowing what to do in the weight room. Remember, your dd will get a list of lifts they are expected to do during the summer before they show up to college along with an exercise routine.

May 27, 2013
Your dd won't have a choice here. My dd showed up knowing how to do the lifts etc. so the strength coaches set up an aggressive program for her. For the other players, many didn't know how to do the various lifts and the coach wasn't a happy camper. They produced a video for recruits to see about how important it was for players to show up knowing what to do in the weight room. Remember, your dd will get a list of lifts they are expected to do during the summer before they show up to college along with an exercise routine.

She’s already a junior in college. Her college strength coach actually worked with her on an individual level to come up with a program that works well for her.

I’ve known other players who have not been so lucky at their respective schools.

Jun 8, 2016
Once she gets to college I’m retiring..she’s on her own 😂

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
She’s already a junior in college. Her college strength coach actually worked with her on an individual level to come up with a program that works well for her.

I’ve known other players who have not been so lucky at their respective schools.
I meant for most parents reading this thread. My dd's coach, a former special forces soldier, expected the weight room to be an important part of his program. The trainers at my dd's school were there every morning at 6 to put her team through the paces. For all of my teams excluding the golf team, the weight room was an important part of what we did. As I have posted before, we are a school of 1,000 students who have a schedule made up of teams twice our size. We were up for the challenge. I wish I could post a video of our plyometric session on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Most would believe what they did. Anyway, for most collegiate teams, your dd (anyone reading this thread) will need to know their way around the weight room.

Jun 8, 2016
Anyway, for most collegiate teams, your dd (anyone reading this thread) will need to know their way around the weight room.
Don’t see anybody saying otherwise ..It’s a question of them learning their way around it properly. I see some God awful squat and DL videos posted on Twitter..

May 13, 2023
Just like anything else with mechanics learn to have good form! For those that want to there are advantages to strengthening muscles.

Enjoy the journey! Pay attention along the way!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles