Weight Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Funny, maybe you didn't notice šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø most of the previous thread was pointing out if it's done wrong it's bad, and people commenting on injuries. Ohhh noo scary.... heck bad throwing mechanics can cause injuries.
Yes the obvious statement that weight training can be beneficial was not uttered. Glad you are here to set us straight..

May 27, 2013
Funny, maybe you didn't notice šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø most of the previous thread was pointing out if it's done wrong it's bad, and people commenting on injuries. Ohhh noo scary.... heck bad throwing mechanics can cause injuries.

It definitely can be scary (and sometimes career-ending) to blow out a disc in your back due to incorrect form. I believe the OP asked about what should and should not be done in regards to weight-training, hence why people discussed incorrect form with training.

I did mention boxing as a great exercise for a full body workout which pretty much anyone can safely do.

What I donā€™t like are one-size fits all weight-training programs. The softball players should not be doing the same exact program as the lacrosse players who should not be doing the same exact program as the football players. I believe each team should have their own workout tailored to their strength training needs and goals.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"What I donā€™t like are one-size fits all weight-training programs. The softball players should not be doing the same exact program as the lacrosse players who should not be doing the same exact program as the football players. I believe each team should have their own workout tailored to their strength training needs and goals."
and
" coaches set up an aggressive program for her. "

Could somebody please post a good lift program schedule that is best for softball with emphasis on hitting for power. Squats, DL, flies, core, etc. I know you must train the whole body but are there specific exercises or muscle groups that are most beneficial for the softball hitter?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It definitely can be scary (and sometimes career-ending) to blow out a disc in your back due to incorrect form. I believe the OP asked about what should and should not be done in regards to weight-training, hence why people discussed incorrect form with training.

I did mention boxing as a great exercise for a full body workout which pretty much anyone can safely do.

What I donā€™t like are one-size fits all weight-training programs. The softball players should not be doing the same exact program as the lacrosse players who should not be doing the same exact program as the football players. I believe each team should have their own workout tailored to their strength training needs and goals.
Better tape up those wrist and learn the correct way to deliver a punch. The heavy bag is an injury waiting to happen. I guess you could shadow box.

May 27, 2013
Better tape up those wrist and learn the correct way to deliver a punch. The heavy bag is an injury waiting to happen. I guess you could shadow box.

Another reason why having a knowledgeable trainer working with your dd is important!

Apr 27, 2020
From another thread but I thought it could use it own thread.

What stuff would she do in the weight room which is, at the very least, not very productive and at it's worse, counterproductive?

And what could she do in the weight room that would be most productive?

I am hoping to hear replies from multiple sources about best (and the worse) weight training drills for softball hitting strength?
As a HS Coach there are many things that can go wrong with weight rooms.
I never allow co-ed work outs. The boys do stupid stuff and the girls at times will too when in mixed company. When we use weights it is strictly monitored and part of a nutrition / hydration plan.
There are warm up activities prior to the session and cool down after. Many schools do none of this and just expect the students to spend an hour or two lifting how they want to work out. Add in bad nutrition / hydration especially with females it creates opportunities for muscle injuries or soft tissue injures. IMO, more gains can be had with proper stretching and plyo/resistance. If your players cannot hold stretches' or improve their stretches/plyo they should not be hitting weights.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
What can happenā€¦.

Permanent, debilitating injury.

To hell with ā€œcareer endingā€. Worse.

Heavy weight training improperly conducted by a former ā€˜roid rager body builder at a D1 mid-major.

Add to it a coaching staff of super awesome psychotic former players, who when an absolute racehorse outfielder started falling down in practice running and didnā€™t know why she was falling down decided that the way to handle it was to scream at the player.

We trusted. We kept our mouth shut. Our daughter made it to fall of her junior year until a doctor told her she could keep playing and do more damage or start getting nerve ablation treatments every 6 months until a better procedure comes along than spinal fusion.

Warning signs missed by us: Ice after every game strapped to her back. Massive doses of ibuprofen on a continuous basis. She never complained. She didnā€™t tell us until later that most of the team had back problems of varying degrees. She also told us stories about the Hall Of Fame coach and her assistant (now the head coach) that would curl your hair.

Go in with your eyes wide open people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles