Weight Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What can happen….

Permanent, debilitating injury.

To hell with “career ending”. Worse.

Heavy weight training improperly conducted by a former ‘roid rager body builder at a D1 mid-major.

Add to it a coaching staff of super awesome psychotic former players, who when an absolute racehorse outfielder started falling down in practice running and didn’t know why she was falling down decided that the way to handle it was to scream at the player.

We trusted. We kept our mouth shut. Our daughter made it to fall of her junior year until a doctor told her she could keep playing and do more damage or start getting nerve ablation treatments every 6 months until a better procedure comes along than spinal fusion.

Warning signs missed by us: Ice after every game strapped to her back. Massive doses of ibuprofen on a continuous basis. She never complained. She didn’t tell us until later that most of the team had back problems of varying degrees. She also told us stories about the Hall Of Fame coach and her assistant (now the head coach) that would curl your hair.

Go in with your eyes wide open people.
I hate to hear stuff like this. Pisses me off. I despise ignorant old school, know it all coaches that refuse to evolve and the ADs that hire them. Read a book, watch some videos (if you cant read), go to seminar. Gain knowledge. Do something to make yourself better.

Dec 11, 2010
I hate to hear stuff like this. Pisses me off. I despise ignorant old school, know it all coaches that refuse to evolve and the ADs that hire them. Read a book, watch some videos (if you cant read), go to seminar. Gain knowledge. Do something to make yourself better.
Couldn’t agree more. These people are pretty convinced they already know everything. Don’t need to learn anything when you know everything.

The dead giveaway on people like this is when they start talking like they are the “only ones that understand because they played the game”. It will be semi-coded language but that is the gist of it. Run don’t walk when you hear it.

The strength training at dd#2’s school is much better. Injuries are low and everything they do is based on athletic performance. Still, she is a senior and was just telling us that she got some coaching on power cleans and when she improved her form she immediately pr’d.

That kind of sucks. A senior and she wasn’t doing them right?

Oct 4, 2018
"What I don’t like are one-size fits all weight-training programs. The softball players should not be doing the same exact program as the lacrosse players who should not be doing the same exact program as the football players. I believe each team should have their own workout tailored to their strength training needs and goals."
and
" coaches set up an aggressive program for her. "

Could somebody please post a good lift program schedule that is best for softball with emphasis on hitting for power. Squats, DL, flies, core, etc. I know you must train the whole body but are there specific exercises or muscle groups that are most beneficial for the softball hitter?

My DD has two or three custom weight programs designed specifically for her, by her pitching coach. First day they get sent to weight room in HS I want her to do that workout and stick to it. We'll see...

Apr 27, 2020
Great Post, expectations should be the same with coaches dedicating the time to learn and get better as they expect of their players.

May 13, 2021
I would be very concerned as to lack of proper supervision in Pattar’s mention of working out in high school. Too many kids to one trainer. If lifting with improper form it can very easily cause injury.

I also don’t like when a trainer assumes every kid can do the same lift the same way. Example - because of my DD’s build, she should not be bench pressing with a bar but should be using dumbbells instead. Lifting should not be a one-size fits all experience.
What kind build would someone have that makes them not a good candidate to do bench press?

Jan 28, 2017
Haven't coached any outside sports in awhile but energy drinks were terrifying in the FL heat. We started football practice before the first day of school and you have no idea what they have been doing before they get to you. Almost all of heat issues came from kids drinking energy drinks before practice the last few years.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
What is the reason they should not do bench press. Never heard that before.
It’s not that they shouldn’t do it, it’s just that it might be more difficult for them to do so. I believe it has to do with them having longer arms, narrow shoulders and smaller joints. Dd always had an extremely difficult time with it so her trainer switched her to dumbbells which made it much more easier to lift more weight.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
What is the reason they should not do bench press. Never heard that before.
People with long arms have a more difficult time with any pressing movements. You have to move the weight further than a person that is short and stocky. The person with long arms also has more range of motion.

It is not that a person with long arms should not bench press. What they have to do really pay attention to their form. A person with long arms is more susceptible to going to deep on a bench press or any kind of pressing movement. I would suggest to any person playing softball or baseball is if they want to bench press, is to make sure they don't go any deeper than 90 degrees with their elbows. If you are bringing the bar all the way to the chest you are very likely bending your elbows past 90 degrees if you have long arms, that might not be the case if you are a stocky person. All of this is true for a dumbell press. One way of ensuring that you don't go past 90 degrees is to do a dumbell press lying on the floor.

I would also suggest using a narrower grip when bench pressing if you are playing a sport that involves a lot of overhand throwing. More like shoulder width apart instead of putting your fingers on the knurling of the bar. This will incorporate your triceps more and take pressure off your AC joint. You also don't want to flare your elbows out, this also causes more pressure on the AC joint. Instead keep your elbows in or tighter to your body. You got to find the sweet spot in regards to how close your elbows are to your body.

I would much rather see a person work the eccentric motion slower than letting the bar fall to quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles