SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
all of his hitting instructors for his minor league team and his off season hitting instructor. And, yes, they all want the kids to have a quick hand path down to the ball (don't get long) and try to create back spin.

I'm sure there are many approaches to hitting a ball. What works well for one may not always work well for another based on body type, athleticism and coordination.

I also work at the major league level.

I love it when guys teach swing down for backspin because it generally means that they are ruining their hitters and making it easier for my guys to win.

Again, while lots of people teach this, no good hitters actually do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2009
1. bat drag where the rear elbow leads the hands creating barrel dump and an uppercut. Usually resulting the the comment "Great Swing! You're just under it!!"

This is very common.

I'm battling it in my son right now.

That's why, when you see an uppercut, you have to understand why it's happening. Sometimes it's due to an uppercut and sometimes it's due to something else.

Feb 6, 2009
We'll just have to agree, not to agree on this one. But I do, very respectfully, wish you all good luck with what ever type/style of swing you teach your players and students.

Many people start on this site looking for some answers. When I started I didn't know how to post video. I didn't know how to analyze video. I asked and learned alot here. I found this site and O'leary's site very valuable. It seems obvious to me that anyone looking for success would try replicate the great hitters and if you analyze enough of them, you'll see the swings are very similar. Or you can just have a closed mind and give up. My DD is now playing DII on scholarship and much of what I taught her I leanred here.

Feb 6, 2009
This may work as a cue for some, but it doesn't reflect reality.

Nobody does this.

V_H_HD_BB_Public_JoeThurston_3B_FT_09-005_60FPS_C.gif

Well, nobody good.

Got any video of Ichiro? Just wondering what he looks like broken down. He hits like a lefty softball slapper alot of the time (and I certainly wouldn't teach that to anyone in baseball). He's special

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Easy way to prove why you don't do this. Watch RVP and see how they talk about the Big Zone. Or read one of hitter's old post on how to measure it. Try to see how long your bat stays in the Big zone if you teach this.

May 7, 2008
DFW
IUBI...been following hitting discussions on this (and other) sites for a while now. I feel I understand the lower half and a lot of the coil and stretch and separate cues discussed, and I have drills to re-inforce and teach those movements. Strictly on the hand/barrel path, I also think I have a good feel for it (I like Wellphyt's get your hands flat early cue and Tewks barrel to the ball, etc.), but I DON'T have what I feel is a good supply of drills to burn those mechanics in. In fact, I think a lot of the drills I've used or seen in the past to work on swing plane (like the two tee drill you mention) may solve one problem (severe barrel dump) while introducing others...what repetition drills you use to work the swing path specifically? Because I feel you can show it to girls in slow-mo, that's fine, but until they burn it in it's just a thought exercise. TKS!

Rich,

Any drill is only as good as its intent and then it should be performed in the right way. By that I mean you or your student could do the drill and if its sloppy its not going to accomplish what you desire with your student. With any drill I use this rule and it falls along the lines of what Hitter (Howard Carrier) talks about on here with what he refers to as the Matrix drill. I force them to do it slowly. If you dont have time to do it right when will you have time to do it over? That is a poster up on my wall at my place.

Kids today dont want to slow down for anything they do with motion. They think it has to be done at break neck speed. We of course re enforce on them we want quicker - faster. In everything they do on the field. But when they practice new motion or new motion concepts you really want to slow them down a lot. That is how I teach them consistent swing plane. If I dont get the desired result at contact off the tee (Rising line drive) then I ask them why and they have to explain to to me what they did to pop it up or hit it down with their swing motion. If they dont understand what they did wrong how are they going to fix it in a game? Slowing it down forces them to be able to see the impact that incorrect movement will have on the swing plane of the bat to the ball.

I also do a lot of stop swings. Swing full speed but stop the bat at the ball. Its ok if they hit the ball but you want to check their body position at contact and make sure the bat is in the bat lag position just prior to contact and before the wrist release to the ball at contact. Also check to see if they transferred the weight to the front side. Last but not least did they stay connected to contact? Is the box still in place at contact or are they extending the arms with they stop the bat?

There are a couple of drills that will help but the biggest thing is get them to slow down when they practice and force them to do it right every time. They cannot just walk in and start whacking at balls without understanding the consequences of what incorrect motion will do to the swing plane. To do so is a waste of time. For both you and the student.

Dana.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I also work at the major league level.

I love it when guys teach this swing down for backspin garbage because it generally means that they are ruining their hitters and making it easier for my guys to win.

Again, while lots of people teach this, no good hitters actually do this.

A lot of pros have the 'feel' that they swing down to the ball ... even Bonds is on record with that comment.

It's a 'feel'.

The reality is that tip of the barrel reaches it's lowest point in the swing plane 'before' contact ... not 'after' contact.

Some like to use a cue of "down to, up through".

In any event ... it isn't uncommon for an experienced pro to speak of swinging down to the ball. Very common in fact. The question I have for you, is why do so many have that feel when video shows a more typical swing plane?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is very common.

I'm battling it in my son right now.

That's why, when you see an uppercut, you have to understand why it's happening. Sometimes it's due to an uppercut and sometimes it's due to something else.

Sorry to read this. You've been battling this issue for quite some time now. While you may not like the HI teaching approach, the reality is that they are doing something with their hitters that quickly remedies 'bat drag'. It's not tough to correct. Donny documented it. I posted his presentation at BBD. Simply learn to use the 'hands', not the 'arms', but the 'hands' ... and 'bat drag' goes away.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
Got any video of Ichiro? Just wondering what he looks like broken down. He hits like a lefty softball slapper alot of the time (and I certainly wouldn't teach that to anyone in baseball). He's special

Not yet.

He basically has two swings, one of which is an opposite field slap and the other which is a standard rotational swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying