SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
It is similar to the torque drill but for one critical element.
If you do a side by side clip of him with a side view of a hitter with no bat drag, you'll see the root cause of his bat drag.

Once the bat is taken off the deltoid, the bat drag will re-appear.

As you said, and as I will readily acknowledge, he is on the path but not there yet.

This is just the first step in the process, and I've only started instructing him this fall.

In part, that's because he's a very different person than his brother athletically and I've been trying to figure out how much I should teach him versus just letting him go. In soccer, he figured out the correct way to kick the ball with just a kick of nudges from me, and I'm trying to see if the same is true for his baseball swing.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Ripping on someone by taking personal shots while repeatedly posting a swing they posted of their kid is a good way to ruin a thread FFS. I'm a little surprised. Chris too often offers one or two sentence quips without suggestions here but you usually are better. The back and forth tease and conversation with you and theaddition alluding to the cause of drag but not spelling it out is a waste. How about breaking down the cause of bat drag not understood by Chris according to you two. There are a lot of people who could benefit as you "Discuss Fastpitch".

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
What is to stop him from going back to flapping his rear arm once he takes the bat off his rear deltoid?
In the case of the back and forth isolated launch move FFS is emphasizing in the clip of CO's son I would think a help at launch would be to -

Move the front elbow and rear elbow together and maintain their spacing. The move of the rear elbow/forarm would be not just down like it currently is but rotating - connected to the top hand to assist in moving the barrel to begin its rotation into the pitch plane.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In the case of the back and forth isolated launch move FFS is emphasizing in the clip of CO's son I would think a help at launch would be to -

Move the front elbow and rear elbow together and maintain their spacing. The move of the rear elbow/forarm would be not just down like it currently is but rotating - connected to the top hand to assist in moving the barrel to begin its rotation into the pitch plane.

Nice Ihowser. I believe this is why Tom posted the link of Mankin's connection drill. CO may have taken it as a stab ... but the reality is that the fusion process is virtually absent ... the actions of connection are simply not there. What we see is the rear arm flapping with no fusion ... no establishment of connection ... the top hand basically not connected.

I wasn't really teasing when I asked CO if there was a phobia wrt using the hands. Simply using the hands is one way to get them connected. What we see instead is a twist of a motorcycle throttle ... brrmmm ... brrmmm ... not what the hands should be doing.

It's really simple ... get the lower body going ... i.e., a lower body running start ... and then use the hands ... always, always, always get the lower body going ... regardless if you follow through to swing or not.

oiyezl.gif

The fact that we see this rear wing flapping motion indicates that the actions of connection haven't been learned. And I truly suspect that was Tom's message with the link to Mankin's video.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It is similar to the torque drill but for one critical element.
If you do a side by side clip of him with a side view of a hitter with no bat drag, you'll see the root cause of his bat drag.

Once the bat is taken off the deltoid, the bat drag will re-appear.

BD

Here you go BD ...

2zox93p.gif

Had to find a hitter at 60FPS ... took a 60FPS Either clip and mirrored it.

Nov 15, 2010
Here you go BD ...

2zox93p.gif

Had to find a hitter at 60FPS ... took a 60FPS Either clip and mirrored it.

Funny thing is that the video on the right also shows the hands taking a direct down to the ball. Actually most every video Chris has on his web site shows this.

Oct 12, 2009
With respect to FFS' connection theory and solution, the reason I don't buy into it is that you don't see what he advocates in many good hitters, especially hitters who start with the bat in plane. That makes me believe he is confusing style with substance.

Here's Jim Edmonds...

V_H_HD_BB_Public_JimEdmonds_3B_HR_ToRF_10-040_60FPS_20-45_SF.gif

Here's Dustin Pedroia...

V_H_HD_BB_Public_DustinPedroia_1B_D_OffLFWall_09-045_60FPS_35-46_R.gif

To show that the same thing applies to softball, here's Megan Bush...

V_H_HD_FPS_Public_MeganBush_1B_HR_ToLF_09-071_20FPS_SF.gif

I could go on and on.

That's also why what you see in this clip is a significant improvement.

ibl2rk.jpg

There's also the issue that FFS either doesn't really understand what connection is or uses the term differently.

The way connection was originally defined by Paul Nyman, and used by me, is that all of the pieces of the upper body move as a coordinated whole and not independently. In particular, that means that the hands don't get too far ahead of or behind the back shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1