SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2009
LOL, The hands take a direct path to the ball. PERIOD...

My highest-level client is Andres Torres who plays CF for the SF Giants. He was taught to take his hands directly to the ball and, as in the case of Joe Thurston, the result was that he couldn't hit better than .210. It wasn't until he learned about connection, and learned how to rotate his hands with his back shoulder, that he finally started to hit in the big leagues.

Case closed.

Oct 12, 2009
BatDrag_Before_CLIENT_006_003_001_56-96_SF.gif

This is just standard bat drag, and it's there because I have mostly left his hitting alone to date and haven't wanted to overcoach him.

You can see the same pattern -- pulling with the back elbow so it slides forward -- in many of the girls on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Not to get in this argument, but that is not what these video's show. This is the issue I have with Video's everyone can watch them and come up with a conclusion. Here is a simple way to test if your hitter is taking the hands to the ball. Stand behind them and hold the whip hit or a rope, instead of a bat. You hold the end. If they take their hands to the ball they will not be able to pull you foward. If they have a good first move and take the hand on and inside path to the ball they will be able to pull you forward. If they try to use a whip hit to hit off the T taking the hands to the ball they are never going to make contact. Why I like this device, you can use it for many different things.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
What my son is doing in this clip...

ibl2rk.jpg

...was largely inspired by looking at this clip of Joe Mauer about 1,000 times...

V_H_HD_BB_Public_JoeMauer_3BLH_S_ToRF_09-016_20FPS_R.gif

My son obviously isn't there, but he's moving in the right direction.

There's also no sign of FFS' mysterious "action that establishes connection" in this clip. Like Megan Bush, Mauer just lowers the bat into plane and then rotates from there.

Oct 12, 2009
Not to get in this argument, but that is not what these video's show. This is the issue I have with Video's everyone can watch them and come up with a conclusion.

Especially if they just eyeball them and don't bother to blow them up or slow them down.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think hands to the ball is a cue but there is much more to say because hands to the ball is barely an end in itself. There are many ways to apply hands to the ball. Some good, some not.

Good: Hands to the ball can help a batter find the plane of the pitch

Bad: hands to the ball can cause a batter to disconnect their hands and arms from their hip and shoulder rotation.

Bad: hands to the ball causes a player to chop down on the ball while trying to impart backspin. Almost none of Chris's successful swing videos show this model

Here is a former major leaguer and student of Ted Williams who totally disagrees with the
LOL, The hands take a direct path to the ball. PERIOD...
theory.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjlrLwq7qM0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjlrLwq7qM0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Funny thing is that the video on the right also shows the hands taking a direct down to the ball. Actually most every video Chris has on his web site shows this.

RandyO, the swing on the right is a highly polished swing. If that is your definition of "taking a direct down to the ball" ... then that may help explain why so many pros think in those terms. That is your "Picasso" ... your mental image of the swing ... and this swing, is a very good swing. If your "Picasso" matches this swing ... then excellent. What you say here isn't all that uncommon.

Oct 12, 2009
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjlrLwq7qM0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OjlrLwq7qM0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is a good explanation of linear teaching.

What he (Jake?) describes at the start of the video is what Mattingly teaches, and I wouldn't be surprised if Randy O's instructor is in the Yankee system.

T

theaddition

Has anyone told us what is the cause of bat drag yet?
The problem of bat drag has almost nothing to do with the hands.
This is proven by the side by side clip FFS provided to us.
It's also why I contend the 2 clips of CO's son are the same swing.

If you can understand Candrea's concept of creating space and the time to create space, bat drag will disappear.
I made a document (word) that illustrates this.
But as usual, I can't upload it.

Who can help me out?

BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish