Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2008
Doc,

Ok, now you're being arrogant to make a point. Sounds like you have all the answers - you have it all figured out. You've not said anything about the swing except to say it is a ground up movement - like walking.

Please outline how you go about teaching the swing. I would like to learn.

Mike

P.S. By the way, are you referring to learning from pre-RVP Candrea or post-RVP Candrea?

Dang Mike, you're sounding plumb smart these days.

May 12, 2008
I'm talking about pre and post,we exchange info all the time.Thats why the Epstein stuff drives us mad.We've got alot more true info and keep trying get it right.Tomorrow we might be saying something even better,I hope.

So it sounds like you are RightView engaged? I would agree that's much better information than Epstein.

May 12, 2008
Thank you for that web site it confirms what I thought a reverse pivot swing.You had better have your daughter buy some of Barry's special cream,or was it clear?

Well I agree with your point but I thought the Barry thing was a bit tacky.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Mark, you are making up for lost time! Mark, man, thanks for the compliment! At least I DO work with hitters, right? :) Going back to your post, I do think Epstein is good and his drills can work very well IF you are aware of some things to avoid. I like the positions his drills place the hitter in because, IMO, they get you close to where you need to be. Do you want to stay on the back foot? NO. DO you want to scap load? YES DO you want dead hands? NO. DO you want tilt over the plate as well as lateral tilt at the begining of unload? YES, IMO. DO you want to learn a running start? YES. DO you want to learn hip coil and rotating into toe touch. YES. I could go on but I don't want to sully the waters.

Our primary point of disagreement is you recommend Englishbey, and I do not. I'd much rather go the Epstein route with modifications. Yeager is pretty darned good too!

Mike

May 9, 2008
Thanks

Given that, I suggest you post some clips on here before you embark on major swing surgery.

Hi Mark H,

Thanks for your interest and input into this thread. If I'm able to master the technical aspect I'll post before and after video of her swing later this week. I saw in one of your earlier posts that at one time you were an Epstein supporter. What did you originally like?:D

Pops

May 12, 2008
Many move through Epstein and Mankin early on. Then you learn more and start seeing problems. Epstein was early in my journey. His stuff is NOT foundational IMO and as mentioned on here, needs modification. Frankly it needs major surgery to work. I've been through a bunch of them. Haven't studied Yeager all that much yet but I see more terminology and view point differences than anything. If money isn't an issue I'd suggest spending a day with Englishbey. If money's a small issue I'd buy his dvd's and dig into his website. If you want to investigate before you spend, read everything on the free public side of his website and get him on the phone. Just make sure your cell battery is charged up and you have plenty of minutes left for the month. :)

May 9, 2008
Hi Mark,

Money, time, location, are always an issue. But they can be worked out. I'll take a look at the Englishbey site and see what I think. The goal is improvement, mastery will come later. At 12 I don't want to push too hard I want her to have fun. I want her to learn from a variety of sources and pick an choose from the best teachers available. Epstein works out for us because it's moderately priced, located across town, and the timing is right.

Thanks for your input,

Pops

May 12, 2008
I should modify my major surgery to work comment. His stuff will work in the sense that most youth hitters are so inefficient that his stuff will show major improvement in most hitters. IME, and many others, they will eventually hit a ceiling they don't need to hit. OTOH, that ceiling may well be high enough for many kids. Most kids drop out of fp or bb long before high school age. If a kid is hitting as well as they want to at the highest level they aspire to, nothing wrong with that. Leave them alone and let them enjoy it whoever's program they followed to get there. As Scott says, almost any program violently executed will show improvement. Epstein's is one of these. First, I'd recommend Englishbey, then RightView or Yeager I suppose. Epstein comes well down the list after Mankin and many others IMO. But will it work? Depends on what you mean by work. See Scott's statement above and question him on his experience with Epstein's program. He worked Mike's stuff HARD and has spent a lot of time getting Mike's stuff OUT of his daughter's swing since. His daughter is going to play D1 softball on a scholarship and Scott has trained a bunch of girls on their hitting who are or will play high level D1 softball. He'd be a good one to pick his brain about Epstein's program.

May 9, 2008
surfing

Hi Mark H,

I checked out Englishbey's website and like what I saw. The video of his swing is great. Although the forum doesn't seem to be too active or up to date. I'm going to be surfing over to Rightview and Yeager after this. You referenced Scott and I know I saw that post I just don't know where. Can you give me his contact info?

Thanks,

Pops

Status
Not open for further replies.