Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2008
Doc,
Riding the back leg would seem more appropriate to me.

In a Jim Dixon sense, yeah.

If you are waiting until toe touch to rotate, you'll be late to the party.

Depends if we are talking about rotating the shoulders or rotating the hips.

IOW, you don't shift weight forward, then rotate. Have you heard of the concept of "forward by turning?" I'm beginning to wonder. I'm with you on the scap loading part

Why Mike, sometimes lately you sound positively Nymanish-Dixonish.

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Slapper23 I don't make these statements thats what I'm trying to explain thats what countless scientists and great players have seen and discussed over the last 20 years. We are talking about the feedback from players and science. Torque is not involved,loading the upper body back at the same time your lower body begins rotation is not the seperation you want it creates a circular long bat path. The fish hook bat path is the exact opposite path of what you are thinking.The hook part starts once the hands get in front of the back hip and the bat head comes around and snaps on a line matching the plane of the ball until it comes off plane with full extention and release.

May 12, 2008
What I hear you saying is Epstein's counter rotation is a bad idea and holding the hinge angle with good connected rotation creates a whip through the contact area?

May 12, 2008
Whoops, I was answering the previous post of yours. I'll get to the latter one next. Could you pick out a particular clip to discuss?

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Doc,

I'm talking about looking at most any video of a ML hitter. Let's check out my favorite - Albert Pujols. See what you see. And yes, I'm talking about loading the upper torso - not by counter rotation - but by scap loading while the hips (Mark) rotate into toe touch. Not sure why you think I'm talking about a sweeping swing. Are you talking about a hands to the ball swing, you know, where they do drills like hitting a baseball/softball off a tee with the knob of the bat??

I would tend to see the fish hook bat path moreso on an inside pitch, not so much on outside pitches. And what countless scientists and players are you talking about?

I'll answer this ahead of Mark and he can comment, but your question to him about seeing the back heel come up before hip turn (in your opinion) is a result of the hips beginning rotation - beginning to rotate into toe touch (forward by turning). Are you in to the squish the bug stuff? :)

Mark,
There are elements of Dixon/Nyman I believe in, such as forward by turning. As I said, we probably agree on more than we disagree, o' buddy.

Mike

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Front toe touch must happen before rotation can happen. Front heel plant must then happen, at the same time the back heel drives towards contact so the legs and core can connect.Yes the hips get ahead of the hands but the hips have to decelerate to let the hands whip. Thats why when you break down video you can see hips stop and torso whip around.The coaches like Candrea,Eriksen Olympics,Dayett,Vavera MLB, A-Rod,Gwynn,Mauer MLB players,Mendoza,Jung,Freed Softball players and DeRenne Medlock seience just to name a few love this stuff. I think when you have played at that level their feedback is alot better than theory,its proven.

Jun 9, 2008
Posey,

Obviously, I have a great deal fo respect for your talent if you are/were a softball Olympian. That said, look at any slo-mo video of ML or high level D1 softball hitters and you WILL SEE hips leading the way. It's kind of incredulous to me that you are saying what you're saying. I guess it shouldn't be though.

We're not torquing the hips or spinning the hips, but while the hands/arms/upper torso loads, hips lead the way. If anything, the core is being torqued as a result creating stretch reflex. Yes, when you throw a ball, hips lead the way. Check it out or better yet, go outside and throw a ball and see for yourself. Hitting is a lot similar to throwing and hitting a golf ball.

AND, because women do not have the upper body strength of men, it is that more important that they do use their CORE to help generate power. Are you talking about arm swings?

Mark and I disagree on some points of the swing, but on the overall, big picture things we are in agreement. Mark, I may need your help here. :D

Mike

Mike,

I have studied video for 15 years and practiced 3-5 hours every day for 15 years. I think I know what my body does and what has to happen in the different phases of the swing. The hips cannot lead the way! Your hands have to get out before your hips go... if your hips go first then your hands go backwards. Ask Mendoza, Jung, or Candrea and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12