Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2008
Indiana
Dr.,

Granted, weight shifts back to the back foot while loading, but a kinetic sequence I might be familiar with involves conservation of momentum as the hips lead the way and momentum is passed up the chain. I'm not talking about running here, I'm talking about hitting - a rotational, torquing/twisting/forward by turning movement of the body as the hitter rotates while directing the knob of the bat along a curvi-linear path, with the end result being a squaring of bat and ball.

Throwing would be very similar - again, hips lead the way.

Mike

May 9, 2008
Dear Amy in AZ,

Thanks for the link. My dd's pitching coach knows coach Candrea. I'd like to get her down to AZ for a camp with him. With the Olympics it probably won't happen this year but it's on the radar screen for the future.

Pops

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Your body must work from the ground up and your hips are in the middle so how can they lead? The throwing movement starts with a push from the back, so are you saying we pivot the back foot and hips to throw harder? Plus the body works on muscles adducting and abducting not torque, torque hurts! You must be reading from Epstein's bookof made up terms.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Dr., with all due respect, you need to spend a lot more time studying the swing, IMO. You're mixing fact with fallacy. I know I don't have all the answers, but you're quite a bit off the mark. You've never heard of "conservation of momentum", "forward by turning", "stretch reflex" - which by the way, results from separation created by the combination of scap loading of the upper body while the hips lead? The back foot pivoting is a result of a push from the back foot while the pelvic muscles turn the hips, and certainly not form a "squish the bug" movement.

Mike

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Where are you getting your info from? This seperation stuff sounds like counter rotation which causes bat drag around the spine. So are you saying if a hitter is caught out front all they have to do is rotate and that supplies the power?And please don't tell me Epstein is your only source.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
No, Doc, Epstein is not my only source. I'll leave this topic for now, but you should really look deeper into how the best swing the bat. Check out some slo-mo/frame by frame video of the best ML and D1 fastpitch hitters. The swing is a hips then hands...yeah there's more to it, but that's a start.

Mike

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Slapper23 I learned from Carew ,Gwynn ,Candrea and others also train olyimpians and Major Leaguers.My scientific sources come from coast to coast .Just trying to figure out what Epstein Really Knows?

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Doc,

Ok, now you're being arrogant to make a point. Sounds like you have all the answers - you have it all figured out. You've not said anything about the swing except to say it is a ground up movement - like walking.

Please outline how you go about teaching the swing. I would like to learn.

Mike

P.S. By the way, are you referring to learning from pre-RVP Candrea or post-RVP Candrea?

Status
Not open for further replies.