Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2008
MarkH that clip you posted is not throwing the hands thats pushing very weak! Throwing the hands is what A-Rod does in the overhead view of his motion analysis.You can tell he has excellent connection of legs,core and arms.

Great! I would add that many DO mean what you see in this video clip when they talk about throwing the hands so we should be careful with that term I think.

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
See we can make hitting easier if we think natural.When I take a kid and even a D1 player its easier to teach them proper rotation by just throwing sidearm with both hands.They really seem to pick up connection faster that way.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think we can all get caught up in the methodologies we use to teach, and the terms we use. Sometimes we differ -- even the so-called experts do too -- but other times we find ourselves in heated agreement.

Ultimately, the measuring stick is does the student hit effectively. If the answer is yes, it's likely we're providing valuable information and feedback. If not, we need to look at what we're doing.

The key is no one has it knocked for sure. Some seem to understand it better than others, but who knows what new technologies will reveal to us in the next 10 years? We may find the ideas we cherish most don't hold up as well.

The single most important thing any of us can do is be willing to question what we "know." We may wind up right where we started, but we will have more reason to be there. Or we may find there's a better way to go than we've been going.

I know personally my core ideas haven't changed much in the last six to eight years. But much around them has as I have discovered better information (and tried it out myself). It's sort of like the laws of physics, which most of us tend to think are absolutes. They are in fact, but that doesn't mean our understanding of them is. It's just the best we can do with the information currently available.

For hitting, through meaningful and respectful discussion we can inch our way closer to enlightenment. I personally hope the conundrum is never "solved" though. What fun would that be?

I've been following this a have a question of why the counter-rotation at the beginning of the swing is perceived to perhaps be at fault. I tried it (before letting DD experiment) and it felt to me like the rubber band was being wound to release the bat at impact, similar to an old-fashioned forward press in a golf swing was used to get the "golf motor" running to hit a shot. Slightly closing the lead shoulder (left - for a RHB) with the navel still pointed at home plate felt like a very strong powerful hitting position to me.

Can the group let me know where the fatal flaw is in this model. Happy to learn so DD doesn't need to be retaught improper mechanics.
Thanks

What age is your DD? Other than "counter-rotation" making it more difficult for the batter to keep both eyes on the pitcher/ball, when they get up to facing pitching 55-60+ mph, you will be surprised at how "counter-rotation" cuts into their reaction time, since it makes their swing naturally longer/slower.

In other words, they have to decide whether to swing or not quicker than they would if they weren't counter-rotated, if that makes sense. When you are talking about a matter of tenths of a second (or less), the swing needs to be as quick as possible once the hitter decides to "go".

At least that's my opinion :)

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Jofus: DD is 10, played 12U LL ball during the regular , now 10U LL All-Stars.

I can understand reaction time being slower and the difficulty picking up the ball with a slight inward turn of the shoulders. Bat speed is critical as she grows older and hits against faster pitching.

So then power in the swing is generated in a similar manner as with a proper golf swing, where the chest and belt buckle are turned to the target and the batter up on her right toe at follow thru?

May 7, 2008
DFW
3d

That is a good thought and starting point. Keep asking your getting much warmer. IMO :D If I had more time right now I would respond in detail.

Sorry.

Elliott

OK, bear in mind that I am far less qualified than most others posting here, I grew up in the 70-80's and what instruction I had was in the "linear" camp. So, I'm trying to educate myself now for my kids sakes :)

To answer your question to the best of my ability, Yes to the belt buckle/chest turning towards the pitcher, but if you look closely at "elite" hitters, they have little or no weight on their back foot at contact. To me, they start with a slight linear "shift" towards the pitcher, but they use their lead leg to convert that linear energy into a rotational movement as they turn their body. At this point, their hands/arms aren't doing much yet, they are generating power with their body. As their body gets pointing towards the pitcher (as you mentioned), then their arms/hands/bat "release" towards the ball.

It's almost like they "jump" onto their lead leg and use that momentum to rotate like heck.

Obviously there are other variables that you have to worry about, like bat-drag, "casting" (straightening the lead arm way too early, resulting in an outside-in swing), etc.

One thing that I have noticed on a girl on my DD's LL all-star team that counter rotates, is that her follow through is very short, and now that I think about it, it may be partially a result of her twisting which causes her swing to be a little long prior to contact, if that makes sense.

In other words, a guy that has worked with my DD a little told her to think of the swing as "short in, long out", which means hands go directly from setup into the path of the ball in as short a path as possible, but then after contact, to extend the bat head towards the pitcher (or some say 2nd baseman or so, for a right handed hitter), and maybe if your swing is too long on the way "in", that may promote a shorter path "out".

Well, that's probably a lot of rambling BS that doesn't make much sense, but like I said, I'm still trying to learn this stuff myself :)

Good luck to you and your DD, btw :)

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Thanks to you all....I played ball at the same time as Jofus and we really learned to hit by feel, not really instruction so I assume what I learned was linear type hitting.

If I can get DD to feel what proper is supposed to feel like, she will get it much faster.....she does play golf so she will be able to feel the shoulder turn and knows how the turn to the target after hitting the golf ball.....I like the suggestion of throwing sidearm with the hands....I tried it and can feel how this generates power in the shoulders.

KAT

May 13, 2008
bash away

KAT, Look at Vinny Castilla and Ken Griffey also and tell me what you see.

Looked at castilla last night alot was trying to burn into my skull what i am actually seeing. What I am seeing is similiar but different. He rotates his hips further in, slots his elbow really early it seems and it seems as if he reaches a little more for the ball...of course we are not seeing the pitch location either. He also gets light off his back foot, front knee is soft then locked then back to soft again after the swing finishes. He stands up a little more or appears to to me. I havent seen griffey yet I will sometimes today. It takes me time to really watch these I wish I could put these in slow motion it would be easier...I want to learn how their body is moving desperately, but I am limited in time except this week, kiddo is gone to colorado so no running around all week, my van hasn't left the driveway. I now see how much time I am going to have on my hands when she is gone...or even when she starts to drive next spring....ITS FREAKEN SCARY

KAT

May 13, 2008
epstein

What I have noticed with Epsteins kids is they slot hte elbow before the swing even starts, all their weight in on their back foot, it would seem that you would have less flexibility in your body if you are already in a slotted position and you have all your weight back....I think the swing would be quick but limited....is this true or does that slotting your elbow early and putting your weight back actually make your swing longer?? I wish I could figure out how to do the swing counts in frames like some of you guys do. I know this sounds weird but I wish I woudl have started looking at these swings when my dd was much younger, now I am just looking towards grandchildren I guess....and no not from DD much to young. I do have older boys, actually my oldest is talking about getting married next summer....so lets see 5 years from then...hey I might be pretty good at this by then....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi