Pre motion teaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Is anyone here teaching students a slide step weight transfer, no arm swing, single arm swing or double arm swing? Willing to experiment with my daughters pre motion. Currently she is a one arm swing tincher style glove side but wanting most out of hip extension and timing. Thanks

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Play around with it as what works for one may not for the other. Find what works for her with the understanding that less is more. The pre-motion for most pitchers accomplishes absolutely nothing. Unless it adds value there is no reason to do it.

Nov 8, 2018
Is anyone here teaching students a slide step weight transfer, no arm swing, single arm swing or double arm swing? Willing to experiment with my daughters pre motion. Currently she is a one arm swing tincher style glove side but wanting most out of hip extension and timing. Thanks

As @riseball said. Work with each and see what’s most comfortable. My dd went from double arm to one arm to no arm back to one arm. Etc. As mechanics change so does the windup. As her mechanics and timing improve you’ll start to see that you don’t use the arms as much to push off the mound because timing suggests a sight arm delay behind the legs. End up using more legs off the rubber.
We are at this point. It’s interesting how it’s changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m teaching dd to find a starting point that can be exactly the same every time with good posture and balance. Then start your pitch. Meaning her drive to the plate. She cut out all back swings because she realized she couldn’t maintain exact control of where her arm would swing to and that was why she was having control issues. Sometimes arm would swing farther behind her than other times which means shoulders were in different position and possibly hips. Now she starts ball in glove at belt with head and shoulders high and back and stay that way through weight shift. The more movement you add in the more possibilities of mechanics errors. JMO

Oct 4, 2018
I agree with "less is more".

And I'm huge, huge, huge about being the same every pitch. I'll stop my DD if her drive toe isn't pointing straight every time, or if her single arm pre goes behind her back or too far back.

The initial stance and pre are 100% under their control. Other items of the pitch are too, of course, but are harder to isolate and correct. I tell my DD if you don't even have your stance right (in pitching, hitting, throwing, grounders) it's really next to impossible to get the rest of it right.

But in watching the best pitchers out there, you see every type of pre under the sun -- even some I couldn't come up with if you gave me all day to create pre motions. So it certainly seems like there's no one right answer.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Play around with it as what works for one may not for the other. Find what works for her with the understanding that less is more. The pre-motion for most pitchers accomplishes absolutely nothing. Unless it adds value there is no reason to do it.

Thanks for the advice. I just re visited Drive Mechanics thread. And we did the The Stand Tall, Fall, Go Drill (STFG) and it worked wonders in timing. Then she did full pitches with that same feeling, amazing.

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for the advice. I just re visited Drive Mechanics thread. And we did the The Stand Tall, Fall, Go Drill (STFG) and it worked wonders in timing. Then she did full pitches with that same feeling, amazing.

Powerful stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12